487

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Here you can see all page revisions and compare the changes have been made in each revision. Left column shows the page title and transcription in the selected revision, right column shows what have been changed. Unchanged text is highlighted in white, deleted text is highlighted in red, and inserted text is highlighted in green color.

4 revisions
LLILAS Benson at Oct 22, 2018 03:56 PM

487

C O H

487

COG

or country of Labrador. It runs s. e, and enters
the St. Lawrence.

CODEGO. See Tierra Bomba.

CODEHUE, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Rancagna, in the kingdom of
Chile, to the e. of the town of Triana.

CODERA, Cabo de, a cape on the coast of
the province and government of Venezuela. Lat.
10° S5'. Long. 66° 10'.

[CODORUS, a township in York county,
Pennsylvania.]

CODOSA, a settlement of the province and go
vernment of Tucumán in Peru; situate on the
shore of the river Quarto, and at the head of the
sierra of Campanchin.

COELCHO, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Chachapoyas in Peru ; annexed
to the curacy of Chiliquia.

COELLO, a settlement of the province and go
vernment of Neiva in the Nuevo Reyno de Gra
nada ; situate on the shore of the large river Mag
dalena.

COEMAL, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Luya and Chillaos in Peru ; an
nexed to the curacy of Luya, the capital.

COEURS, Bay of, bay in the island of Martinique,
one of the Antilles. It is near the settle
ment of Carbet.

[COEYMANS, a township in Albany county.
New York, 12 miles below Albany. By the state
census of 1796, S89 of its inhabitants are electors.]

COFANES, a barbarous nation of Indians of
the kingdom of Quito, Avhich began to be con
verted to the Catholic religion in 1602, through
the labour and zeal of the Father Rafael Ferrer,
of the extinguished company of the Jesuits, and
who was killed by the same Indians. The princi
pal settlement, founded by this martyr, with the
dedicatory title of San Pedro, is now almost de
stroyed, though some few inhabitants still remain.
The same is situate between the river of its nasne
to the n. and that of Azuela to the s. The above
river is large and rapid, anti takes its name from
these Indians. It rises in the sierra Nevada, or
Snowy, runs from u. to c. and enters the Azuela,
in lat. 13° n.

COFFIN-LAND, a small island of the coast
of Georgia, and one of those which are called
Georgican, at the entrance of the river Ashley.

COFRE, a small river of the province and go
vernment of Buenos Aires. It runs s. and enters
the sea between the rivers Favor and Del Rosario,
opposite the capital.

COGUA, a settlement of the corregimiento of
Zipaguira in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada. It
is of a very cold temperature, and abounds in the
productions peculiar to its climate, particularly
in fire-wood, with which it supplies, for the ma
nufacturing of salt, the settlements of Nemocon
and Zipaquira. To this last settlement it is very
contiguous ; and it lies nine leagues n, of Santa
Fe. Its population is reduced to 70 housekeepers,
and as many other Indians.

COHANZY, a river of the province and
colony of New Jersey, in the county of Cumberland.
It runs s. and enters the sea in the bay of Delaware.

[CoHANZY, or Casaria, a small river,
which rises in Salem county. New Jersey, and
running through Cumberland county, empties into
Delaware river, opposite the upper end of Bombay
hook. It is about SO miles in length, and is na
vigable for vessels of 100 tons to Bridgetown, 20
miles from its mouth.]

COHASSER, a settlement of the province and
colony of New Hampshire, to the e. of the lake
Champlain.

[COHASSET, a township in Norfolk county,
Massachusetts, which was incorporated in 1770,
and contains 817 inhabitants. It has a Congrega
tional church, and 126 houses, scattered on dif
ferent farms. Cohasset rocks, which have been so
fatal to many vessels, lie oft' this town, about a
league from the shore. It lies 25 miles s. e. of
Boston, but in a straight line not above half the
distance.]

[COHGNAWAGA, a parish in the township
of Johnstown, Montgomery county. New York,
on the ay. side of Mohawk river, 26 miles w. of
Schenectady. This place, which had been settled
near SO years, and which was the seat of Sir Wil
liam Johnson, was mostly destroyed by the Bri
tish and Indians, under the command of Sir Wil
liam in the year 1780; in this action Johnson
evinced a want of feeling which would have dis
graced a savage. The people destroyed in this
ex[)cdition were his old neighbours, with whom
he had formerly lived in the habits of friendship ;
his estate was among them, and the inhabitants
had always considered him as their friend and
neighbour. These unfortunate people, after see
ing their houses and property consumed to ashes,
were hurried, such as could walk, into cruel cap
tivity ; those who could not Avalk fell victims to
the toraaliawk and scalping knife. See Caghna
w aga.]

[COllOEZ, or the Falls, in Mohawk river, be
tween two and three miles from its mouth, and 10
miles n. of Albany, are a very great natural curio
sity. The river above the falls is about 300 yards
wide, and approaches them from the n. w. in a


Translation

487

C O H

487

COG

or country of Labrador. It runs s. e, and enters
the St. Lawrence.

CODEGO. See Tierra Bomba.

CODEHUE, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Rancagna, in the kingdom of
Chile, to the e. of the town of Triana.

CODERA, Cabo de, a cape on the coast of
the province and government of Venezuela. Lat.
10° S5'. Long. 66° 10'.

[CODORUS, a township in York county,
Pennsylvania.]

CODOSA, a settlement of the province and go
vernment of Tucumán in Peru; situate on the
shore of the river Quarto, and at the head of the
sierra of Campanchin.

COELCHO, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Chachapoyas in Peru ; annexed
to the curacy of Chiliquia.

COELLO, a settlement of the province and go
vernment of Neiva in the Nuevo Reyno de Gra
nada ; situate on the shore of the large river Mag
dalena.

COEMAL, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Luya and Chillaos in Peru ; an
nexed to the curacy of Luya, the capital.

COEURS, Bay of, in the island of Marti
nique, one of the Antilles. It is near the settle
ment of Carbet.

[COEYMANS, a township in Albany county.
New York, 12 miles below Albany. By the state
census of 1796, S89 of its inhabitants are electors.]

COFANES, a barbarous nation of Indians of
the kingdom of Quito, Avhich began to be con
verted to the Catholic religion in 1602, through
the labour and zeal of the Father Rafael Ferrer,
of the extinguished company of the Jesuits, and
who was killed by the same Indians. The princi
pal settlement, founded by this martyr, with the
dedicatory title of San Pedro, is now almost de
stroyed, though some few inhabitants still remain.
The same is situate between the river of its nasne
to the n. and that of Azuela to the s. The above
river is large and rapid, anti takes its name from
these Indians. It rises in the sierra Nevada, or
Snowy, runs from u. to c. and enters the Azuela,
in lat. 13° n.

COFFIN-LAND, a small island of the coast
of Georgia, and one of those which are called
Georgican, at the entrance of the river Ashley.

COFRE, a small river of the province and go
vernment of Buenos Ayres. It runs s. and enters
the sea between the rivers Favor and Del Rosario,
opposite the capital.

COGUA, a settlement of the corregimiento of
Zipaguira in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada. It

is of a very cold temperature, and abounds in the
productions peculiar to its climate, particularly
in fire-wood, with which it supplies, for the ma
nufacturing of salt, the settlements of Nemocon
and Zipaquira. To this last settlement it is very
contiguous ; and it lies nine leagues n, of Santa
Fe. Its population is reduced to 70 housekeepers,
and as many other Indians.

COHANZY, a river of the province and
colony of New Jersey, in the county of Cumberland.
It runs s. and enters the sea in the bay of Delaware.

[CoHANZY, or Ca:saria, a small river,
which rises in Salem county. New Jersey, and
running through Cumberland county, empties into
Delaware river, opposite the upper end of Bombay
hook. It is about SO miles in length, and is na
vigable for vessels of 100 tons to Bridgetown, 20
miles from its mouth.]

COHASSER, a settlement of the province and
colony of New Hampshire, to the e. of the lake
Champlain.

[COHASSET, a township in Norfolk county,
Massachusetts, which was incorporated in 1770,
and contains 817 inhabitants. It has a Congrega
tional church, and 126 houses, scattered on dif
ferent farms. Cohasset rocks, which have been so
fatal to many vessels, lie oft' this town, about a
league from the shore. It lies 25 miles s. e. of
Boston, but in a straight line not above half the
distance.]

[COHGNAWAGA, a parish in the township
of Johnstown, Montgomery county. New York,
on the ay. side of Mohawk river, 26 miles w. of
Schenectady. This place, which had been settled
near SO years, and which was the seat of Sir Wil
liam Johnson, was mostly destroyed by the Bri
tish and Indians, under the command of Sir Wil
liam in the year 1780; in this action Johnson
evinced a want of feeling which would have dis
graced a savage. The people destroyed in this
ex[)cdition were his old neighbours, with whom
he had formerly lived in the habits of friendship ;
his estate was among them, and the inhabitants
had always considered him as their friend and
neighbour. These unfortunate people, after see
ing their houses and property consumed to ashes,
were hurried, such as could walk, into cruel cap
tivity ; those who could not Avalk fell victims to
the toraaliawk and scalping knife. See Caghna
w aga.]

■ [COllOEZ, or the Falls, in Mohawk river, be
tween two and three miles from its mouth, and 10
miles n. of Albany, are a very great natural curio
sity. The river above the falls is about 300 yards
wide, and approaches them from the n. w. in a


Translation