The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
America, having an excellent port, three leagues in length, and in which there are many other small islands. On the adjoining mainland there is a river called De Salmones, (salmon), on account of its abounding with these fish, of which indeed great quantities are taken, as they are esteemed the finest species of fish of any in that part of the world .
Canseau, a small settlement of the same island, which was burnt by the French in the war of 1744.
Canseau, a cape of the same island, at the entrance of the straits, and also a sand-bank at the mouth of them.
CANTA, a province and government of Peru, bounded on the n. e. and e. by Tarma, on the w. by Chancay, partly by the corregimiento of Cercado, and on the s. by Huarochiri. It is 24 leagues in length n. to s. and 35 in width e. to w. Its territory is generally uneven, being in the cordillera. It has some deep pits or canals, on the sides of which, and in small spots, they sow and cultivate vegetables, fruits, and potatoes. The breed of cattle is by no means inconsiderable here, and there are to be found most of the wild animals which are natives of the sierra, namely, vicuñas, (wild goats), and sheep peculiar to these countries, and differing from those of Europe. In this province as well as in nearly all those of the sierra, there is scarcely any wood for the purposes of cooking, and this want is supplied by the use of turf, which makes a lively fire, but which is very apt to smoke. Those parts which are called quebradas, or rugged and uneven, are very sickly, and are subject to two species of maladies common to other cold climates in this country ; the one is that of warts, which not budding in due time, often become exceedingly troublesome, and even dangerous ; the other of corrosive sores, shewing themselves particularly upon the face, and are difficult to be cured, and which are attributed to the sting of an insect called uta. Some mines of silver were formerly worked here, which were so abundant, that they used to render 200 marks each cajon, (an excavation of 20 feet square, more or less), but these, from not being regularly worked, are filled with water. Here are also two hills of loadstone, as also some minerals of alum, copper, and red lead. The following rivers take their rise in this province : The Carabaya from the lakes Tacaimbaba and Lorococha, which empty themselves into the sea on the n. of Lima ; and the Pasamayo, which runs to the s. of Chancay, first receiving the waters of some hot medicitial springs. Its corregidor used to receive a repar-
timiento of 125,000 dollars, and it paid yearly 1000 for alcavala.
The capital is a town of the same name, in lat. 11° 10' s. and its jurisdiction comprehends 62 others, which are,
Santa Cruz, Baños,
Santa Catarina, Carae,
Chauca, San Agustin,
Culli, San Buenaventura,
Atabillos Altos, San Lorenzo,
Huanoquin, Atabillos Baxos,
San Juan, San Joseph,
San Miguel, Quizú.
CANTANABALO, a river of the province and government of San Juan de los Llanos in the new kingdom of Granada. It rises between the Caviusari and the Sinaruco, and running nearly parallel with them, enters into the Orinoco.
CANTERBURY, a fort of the province of Hampshire, one of the four composing the colony of New England. It is built on the shore of the river Pennycook, and at the mouth of the watercourse formed by the lake Winnipisiokee.
(Canterbury, a township in Windham county, Connecticut, on the w. side of Quinnabaug river, which separates it from Plainfield. It is seven miles e. by s. of Windham, and about 10 or 12 n. of Norwich.)
C U Q
llio Naipi to Cartagena. The same way offers the advantage of a very quick communication between Cadiz and Lima. Instead of dispatching couriers by Cartagena, Santa Fe, and Quito, or by Buenos Ayres and Mendoza, good quick-sailing packet-boats might be sent from Cupica to Peru. If this plan were carried into execution, the viceroy of Lima would have no longer to wait five or six months for the orders of his court. Besides, the environs of the bay of Cupica abounds with excellent timber fit to be carried to Lima. We might almost say that the ground between Cupica and the mouth of the Atrato is the only part of all America in which the chain of the Andes is entirely broken.]
CUPIRA, a river of the province of Barcelona, and government of Cumana, in the kingdom of Tierra Firme. It rises in the serrania, and runs f. until it enters the sea, close to the settlement of Tucuyo.
CUQUE, a large river of the province and government of Darien, and kingdom of Tierra Firme. It rises near the N. sea, to the e. of the province, and following an e. course, enters the canal of Tarena.
CUQUIO, the alcaldia mayor and jurisdiction of Nueva Espana, in the kingdom of Nueva Galicia, and bishopric of Guadalaxara ; is one of the most civilized and fertile, abounding in fruits and seeds, and being of a mild temperature. It is watered by three rivers, which are the Verde on the e. the Mesquital on the w. and the Rio Grande on the s. in which last the two former become united.
The capital is the settlement of its name, inhabited by a large population of Indians, some
[CURA, with the surname of St. Louis de, is situate in a valley formed by mountains of a very grotesque appearance ; those on the s. w. side are capped with rocks. The valley is, however, fertile, and covered with produce, but the greater part of the property consists in animals. The temperature is warm and dry ; the soil is a reddish clay, which is extremely muddy in the rainy seasons ; the water is not limpid, although it is wholesome. The inhabitants are 4000, governed by a cabildo. In the church is an image of our Lady of Valencianosy the claim to which was long a subject of dispute between the curate of Cura and that of Sebastian de los Reynos ; and after a SO years contest, it was ordered by the bishop Don Francisco de Ibarro to be returned to this place, when it was received in a most triumphant manner. This city is in lat. 10° 2' ; twenty-two leagues s. xo. of Caracas, and eight leagues s. e, of the lake of Valencia.]
CURACOA, or Curazao, an island of the N. sea, one of the Smaller Antilles ; situate near the coast of the province and government of Venezuela. It is 30 miles long, and 10 broad, and is the only island of any consideration possessed by the Dutch in America. It was settled in 1527, by the Emperor Charles V. as a property upon theliouse of Juan de Ampues ; is fertile, and abounds in sugar and tobacco, large and small cattle, also in very good saline grounds, by which the other islands are provided : but its principal commerce is in a contraband trade carried on with the coasts of Tierra Firme ; on which account its storehouses are filled with articles of every description imaginable. Formerly its ports were seldom without vessels of Cartagena and Portobelo, which were employed n the Negro trade, bringing home annually froiu 1000 to 15,000 Negroes, with various other articles of merchandise, although this branch ofcommerce has, from the time that it was taken up by the English, greatly declined. On the s. part of