Pages That Mention village
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
finger, but of so hard a texture, that, when split, they cut exactly like a knife. These Indians speak the Tchicachan language, and with the other nations are in alliance against the Iroquees.
ABERCORN, a town of the province and colony of New Georgia, on the shore of the river Savannah, near where it enters the sea, and at a league's distance from the city of this name. [It is about 30 miles from the sea, 5 miles from Ebenezer, and 13 N W of Savannah.]
ABIDE, mountains, or serrania, of the province and government of Cartagena. They run from W to N E from near the large river of Magdalena to the province of Chocó, and the S. Sea. Their limits and extent are not known, but they are 20 leagues wide, and were discovered by Capt. Francisco Cesar in 1536; he being the first who penetrated into them, after a labour of 10 months, in which time he had to undergo the most extreme privations and excessive perils ; not that these exceeded the hardships which were endured by the licentiate Badillo, who entered upon its conquest with a fine army.
ABIGIRAS, a settlement of Indians, one of the missions, or a reduction, which belonged to the regular order of the Jesuits, in the province and government of Mainas, of the kingdom of Quito ; founded in the year 1665, by the father Lorenzo Lucero, on the shore of the river Curarari, 30 leagues from its mouth, and 240 from Quito.
[Abineau Port, on the N side of lake Erie, is about 13 miles W S W from fort Erie. Lat. 42° 6' N Long. 79° 15' W. ]
[ABINGDON, a town at the head of the tide waters of Bush river, Harford county, Maryland, 12 miles SW from Havre-de-Grace, and 20 NE from Baltimore. Cokesbury college, instituted by the methodists in 1785, is in this town. Lat. 39° 27' 30" N Long. 76° 20' 35" W.]
[another, the chief town of Washington county, Virginia, contained but about 20 houses in 1788, and in 1796 upwards of 150. It is about 145 miles from Campbell's station, near Holston; 260 from Richmond in Virginia, in a direct line, and 310 as the road runs, bearing a little to the S of W Lat. 36° 41' 30" N Long. 81° 59' W.]
[ABINGTON, a township in Plymouth county, Massachusetts; 22 miles SE from Boston, and contains 1453 inhabitants. Lat. 42° 4' 30". ]
[another, a parish in the town of Pomfret in Connecticut. Lat. 42° 4' 30". Long. 70° 51' 30".]
[another, a village in Pennsylvania, 32 miles N of Philadelphia.]
Abipi, a small settlement of the jurisdiction of Muzo, and corregimiento of Tunja, in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada. It is of a hot temperature, producing some wheat, maize, yucas, plantains, and canes ; it has been celebrated for its rich mines of emeralds, which are, however, at present abandoned from want of water; it is nearly three leagues distant from the large mine of Itoco.
ABIPONES, a nation of barbarous Indians, of the province and government of Tucuman, inhabiting the S shores of the river Bermejo. Their number once exceeded 100000; but they are certainly at present much reduced. They go naked, except that the women cover themselves with little skins, prettily ornamented, which they call queyapi. They are very good swimmers, of a lofty and robust stature, and well featured: but they paint their faces and the rest of their body, and are very much given to war, which they carry on chiefly against such as come either to hunt or to fish upon their territory. Their victims they have a custom of sticking upon lofty poles, as a landmark, or by way of intimidation to their enemies. From their infancy they cut and scarify their bodies, to make themselves hardy. When their country is inundated, which happens in the five winter months, they retire to live in the islands, or upon the tops of trees: they have some slight notion of agriculture, but they live by fishing, and the produce of the chase, holding in the highest estimation the flesh of tigers, which they divide among their relations, as a sort of precious relic or dainty ; also asserting that it has the properties of infusing strength and valour. They have no knowledge either of God, of law, or of policy; but they believe in the immortality of the soul, and that there is a land of consummate bliss, where they shall dance and divert themselves after their death. When a man dies, his widow observes a state of celibacy, and fasts a year, which consists in an abstinence from fish: this period being fulfilled, an assembly run out to meet her, and inform her that her husband has given her leave to marry. The women occupy themselves in spinning and sewing hides; the men are idlers, and the boys run about the whole day in exercising their strength. The men are much addicted to drunkenness, and then the women are accustomed to conceal their husband's weapons, for fear of being killed. They do not rear more than two or three children, killing all above this number.
Abisca, an extensive province of the kingdom of Peru, to the E of the Cordillera of the Andes, between the rivers Yetau and Amarumago, and to the S of Cuzco. It is little known, consisting entirely of woods, rivers, and lakes; and hither many barbarous nations of Indians have retired, selecting for their dwelling places the few plains which belong to the province. The Emperor Yupanqui endeavoured to make it subservient to his controul, but without success: the same disappointment awaited Pedro de Andia in his attempt to subjugate it in the year 1538.
It is distant 30 leagues to the n. of Tunja, and eight from the town of Suata.
CAPITUTU, Banado de, a river of the province and government of Paraguay . It runs to the w. and enters the same place.
CAPIUARI, a small river of the province and captainship of San Vincente in Brazil. It rises in the mountains near the coast, runs almost directly from e. to w. and enters the Harihambu or Tiete, between the Piraciacaba and Jundiaya.
Capiuari, another river of the province and government of the Chiquitos Indians, and in the kingdom of Peru ; it rises to the s. e. of the settlement of San Rafael, runs to the n. and enters the Ytenes with a slight inclination to the n. w.
Capiuari, another, in the province and government of Paraguay, which enters the Paraná, near the settlement of La Mision de Jesus.
Capiuari, another, in the province and captainship of Rey in Brazil. It rises from a lake near the coast, runs to the w. and enters the large river of Los Patos.
CAPLIRA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Aricá in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Tacna.
CAPLITOILGUA, an island of the N. sea, in the straits De Magellan, one of those which form the s. coast, at the mouth of the canal of St. Isidro.
Caplitoilgua, a bay in the former island.
CAPOCUI, a large lake of the province of Quito, to the n. of the river Napo, emptying itself through a canal into the river Napo. Lat. 57° s.
CAPOLITA, a river of the province and alcaldía mayor of Tecoantepec in Nueva España ; it runs to the e. and enters the S. sea between the Aguatulco and the Simatlan.
CAPON, a river of the province and government of Guayana ; one of those which enter the Cuium on the n. side.
CAPOT, a small river of the island of Martinique ; it runs to the n. e. and enters the sea between the Falaise and the Grand Ance.
Capot, a bay on the coast of the same island, on its n. w. side, between the town of Carbet and the bay of Giraumont.
CAPOTERA, River of, in the kingdom of Brazil ; it rises in the sierra grande, runs to the n. n. e. and enters the Tocantines, between the Santa Lucía and the Araguaya.
CAPOTILLO, River of, in the island of St. Domingo ; it rises near the n. coast, runs w. and turning to the n. n. w. enters the sea at port Delfin.
CAPOTIQUI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Caxamarquilla in Peru.
CAPUCINS, Morne des, or Morro de los
Capuchinos, a mountain of the island of Martinique, at the back of the city of fort Royal.
CAPUCUI, a settlement of the missionaries of the regular order of the Jesuits, now abolished.
CAPUE, Alto, a town belonging to the French, in the part which they possess in the island of St. Domingo ; it ivas taken and burnt by the Spaniards in the year 1691 , after a victory gained by them.
CAPUE, with the addition of Baxo (low), to distinguish it ; another settlement of the same island and dominion as the former.
CAPUI, a settlement of the province of Guayana and government of Cumaná ; one of those which is formed by the missions there established by the Catalanians.
Capui, a small river of the province and government of Paraguay ; it runs to the w. and enters the Paraná between the Caruguampú and the Quendi.
CAPUIO, a small settlement of the head settlement of Etuquaro, and alcaldía mayor of Valladolid, in the province and bishopric of Mechoacán ; in which district there are some cultivated lands, and in these, as well as in the settlement, reside some Spanish families, and some of the Mustees and Indians, who gain their livelihood in tilling the ground, in making lime, and cutting wood. Four leagues w. of its capital.
CAPULA, a village of a small settlement of the head settlement and alcaldía mayor of Zultepec in Nueva España ; situate in the cleft or hollow part of a mountain covered with trees ; its inhabitants, who consist of 63 Indian families, make charcoal and timber, these being the articles of their commerce.
CAPULALPA, San Simon de, a small settlement of the head settlement and alcaldía mayor of Tezcoco in Nueva España, situate on the top of a hill; it has a very good convent of Franciscans, and contains 75 families of Spaniards, Mulattoes, and Mustees, and 196 of Indians : its territory is very fertile, and the most luxuriant of any in the same jurisdiction ; notwithstanding there is a lack of moisture, there being no running streams. They are used to gather most abundant crops of wheat, maize, barley, vetches, beans, and French beans ; they have large breeds of hogs, both in the village and in the farms and neighbouring fattening stalls, which they carry for sale to Mexico, to La Puebla, and other parts. One league n. of its capital.
CAPULUAC, San Bartolome de, a head settlement of the alcaldia mayor of Metepec in Nueva España; it contains 524 Indian families, including those who inhabit the wards of its district, and it is two leagues to the s. e. of its capital.
C H U
466 C H U
of Key in Brazil. It runs s. and turning e. enters the lake Mini.
Same name, a settlement of this province (Rey) ; situate on the sea-coast, and lying between this and the lake Mini.
CHUIGOTES. See Chiugotob.
CHUILLE, a river of the province and government ot Darien in the kingdom of Tierra Firme. It has its source in the mountains towards the e. runs n. e. and enters the river Tarena.
CHUIRIEUI, a river of the province and government of Paraguay. It runs n. and enters the Iguy near the mission of San Miguel.
CHULK, a small port or creek of the coast of the S. sea, in the province and corregimiento of Arequipa. It is shallow, insecure, and exposed to the ,v. w. winds.
==CHULIHUCANI, a settlement of tlie province and government of Potosi in Peru.
CHULINA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Larecaja in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Charazani.
CHULISANA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Andahuailas in Peru; annexed to the curacy of Cachi.
CHULUMANI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Cicasica in Peru.
Same name, a river of the above province (Cicasica), which rises at the end of the cordillera of Ancuma, begins its course to the e. and forming a large bend towards the n. enters the Beni just at its source, and where it keeps the name of the Chuquiavo.
CHUMA, a river of the Nuevo Reyno de Granada, which flows down from the mountains of Bogota. It waters the territory of Merida, passing opposite the city, and enters through the s. side into the lake of Maracaybo.
Same name, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Larecaja in Peru.
CHUMATLAN, a settlement of the head settlenidnt of Zozocoles, and alculdia mayor of Papantla, in Nueva Espana. It is situate at the top of an higli mountain, and from it may be seen all the settlements belonging to this jurisdiction. Its population amounts to 183 families of Indians, and it lies to the n. of its head settlement, three leagues distant from this, and 14 from the capital.
CHUMBE, a village of the province and corregimiento of Cuenca in the kingdom of Quito. It is to the xd. of Tarqui, and on the w. shore of one of the torrents rising in fhe river Paute. Not far from it are some excellent hot baths, of which no use is made. LHere the stately melastoma and the embothriuin are growing at an elevation of 12,000 feet, according to Humboldt, who visited this village in 1802. Lat. 3° 10' s.]
CHUMBES, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Vilcas Huaman in Peru ; annexed to the curacy of Vizchongo.
CHUMBI, a settlement of the province and corof Parinacochas in Peru, where there is a pious sanctuary, with an excellent painting of the blessed virgin, said to have been given by a pontitf to the curate of this settlement when he was at Rome.
CHUMBICHA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Tucuman in Peru; situate to the w. of the valley of San Fernando de Catainarca.
CHUMBICOS, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Piura in Peru ; situate on the shore of a small river of the same name.
CHUMBILLA, a mountain of the province and corregimiento of Huamanga in Peru ; celebrated for a rich silver mine. It lies three leagues from a small settlement called Canaria, which is at present abandoned and deserted.
CHUMBIVILCAS, a province and corregimiento of Peru. It is bounded n. by the province of Quispicanchialgo, and by that of Chilques and Masques on the n. w. ; by those of Cotabamba and Aymaraez on the jr. ; by that of Condcsuyos de Arequipa on the s . ; and on the e. by that of Canes and Cauches. Its temperature is for the most part cold, although in some places temperate, so that it produces the fruits peculiar to either climate ; such as wheat, barley, maize, papas, and other seeds, though none in abundance, but plenty of neat cattle. In this province are found the lofty and vast snowy mountains called Condesuyos del Cuzco. It lies on the boundaries of the province of Parinacocha, being separated from it by the river which flows down from the province of Camana. Here much cloth peculiar to the country is manufactured ; and in its district are many mouths of gold and silver mines, the mounds and pits of which, together with the remains of several mills for working metal, indicate that in former times they were probably worked to no small advantage. They gather here a great quantity of Cochineal, which is called macno, with which cloths are dyed of very fine colours. It has likewise fountains and mineral streams of hot water, and is subject to earthquakes. Its repartimento used to amount to 85,800 dollars, and its alcavala to 685 dollars per annum. Its inhabitants, including the district of Condesuyos, amount to 16,000 souls, who live in the 22 following settlements :