The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
mills. The whole of the district of its territory is covered with estates and country-seats, which abound in all kinds of fruits, at once rendering it a place pleasing and advantageous for residence.
Concepcion, anotlier, of the province and government of the Chiquitos Indians, in the same kingdom ; a reduccion of the missions which were held in this province by the regulars of the company of the Jesuits ; situate between the source of the river Verde and the river Ubay.
Concepcion, another, of the province and country of the Amazonas, in the Portuguese possessions ; a reduccion of the missions which are held by the Carmelite fathers of this nation ; situate on the shore of a pool or lake formed by the river Urubu. . .
Concepcion, another, of the province and government of Tucumán in Peru, and district of Chaco ; being a reduccion of the Abipones Indians, of the mission held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits, and to-day under the charge of the religious order of S. Francisco.
Concepcion, another, of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Je-
suits, in the province and government of Buenos Ayres ; situate on the w. shore of the river Uruguay. (Lat. 27° 58' 43". Long. 53° 27' 13" re.)
Concepcion, another, of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits, in the country of the Chiquitos Indians, in the kingdom of Peru ; situate to the e. of that of San Francisco Xavier.
Concepcion, another, of the province and government of Quixos and Macas in the kingdom of Quito, which produces nothing but maize, yucas^ plantains, and quantities of aloes, with the which the natives pay their tribute, and which are much esteemed in Peru.
Concepcion, a town of the province and government of Tucumán in Peru, in the jurisdiction of the city of Santiago del Estero, between the rivers Bermejo and Salado. It was destroyed by the infidel Indians.
(Concepcion, a large bay on the c. side of Newfoundland island, whose entrance is between cape St. Francis on the s. and Flamborough head on the n. It runs a great way into the land in a s. direction, having numerous bays on the w. side, on which are two settlements, Carboniere and Havre de Grace. Settlements were made here in 1610, by about 40 planters, under Governor John Guy, to whom King James had granted a patent of incorporation.)
C O R'
upon the loftiest part of that most beautiful lltinura, from which the prospect is so enchanting ; sliewing on one side the sea, on another the river which waters tlie precincts, and on another some shady poplar groves. It is of an extremely benign temperature, and enjoying throughout the year a perpetual spring, being neither incommoded by heat nor cold. It is extremely fertile, and abounds in whatever can conduce to the comfort and convenience of life. The city is tolerably large ; all the streets are drawn at straight lines ; and the houses are disjoined from each other by large gardens, which are all well supplied with water brought by aqueducts from the river. The parish church is very beautiful, and not less so are those of the religious orders of St.. Francis, St. Domingo, St. Augustin, La Merced, San Juan de Dios, and the college which formerly belonged to the regulars of the company of the Jesuits. It has a port, which is convenient ajid much frequented by vessels ; upon the shore of which are caught tunnies, abacoras, and various other kinds of fish ; also many delicate kinds of shell-fish. At a small distance is a very abundant copper mine, from which much metal is extracted and carried to Europe ; and it is of this, as well as of its excellent breed of horses, its wine, oil, tallow, cow-hides, and dried meats, that its commerce is composed ; sending, as it does yearly, four or five vessels loaded with these effects to Lima. Although it has mines of the purest gold, yet these are but little worked. The whole of the town is covered with beautiful myrtles, and of these there is a delightful grove. It was destroyed by the Araucanos Indians in 1547 ; and in 1579 it was attempted to be taken by Francis Drake, who was repulsed by the inhabitants, la 1680 it seemed to be rebuilt only that it might undergo a sacking the same year by the English pirate, Bartholomew Sharps. Its population consists of 500 families of Spaniards and people of colour, and some Indians. Fifteen leagues from the city of Concepcion, and 58 from the capital of the kingdom, Santiago. Lat. 30° s. Long. 71° 18'. [See Chile,]
COQUIMBO, an island of the coast of this province and corregimiento.
CORAS, Santiago de los, a settlement of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits in California ; situate at an equal distance from both coasts. It is composed of Indians of the nation of its name, and is the place where the Father Lorenzo Carranza, a missionary, suffered martyrdom.
CORAZON DE Jesus, a settlement of the corregimiento and jurisdiction of Velez in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada. Its population i* small, and it is situate in a country mountainous and full of pools, being scanty in vegetable productions, with 200 inhabitants, a miserable race. It is near the settlement of Chiquinquira, and to the s. of Velez.
CORAZON, another, called De Maria, of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of J esLiits, in the province and government of Maynas, of the kingdom of Quito ; situate on the shore of the river Aguarico.
CORAZON, another, called De Jesus, in the province and government of the Chiquitos Indians in Peru ; situate at the foot of the cordillera of San Fernando, a reduccion of the missions which were held there by the regulars of the company,