The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
far as the confines of the akaldia mayof of Tepique. It is of an hot temperature, abounding’ in maize, cotton, cocoa-trees, and other fruits peculiar to the climate : and particularly in large and small cattle, which breed in numberless wards and country estates. It has silver mines, which are worked to tolerable profit. It is but thinly peopled, and the greater part of its inhabitants arc Mustees and Negro slaves. It is watered by the river Canas, which rises in the jurisdiction of Acaponeta. The capital is of the same name. This was founded by Nufio de Guzman in 1531, and is the capital of the kingdom, and where the tribunal of royal audience and episcopal see were erected ; these being afterwards removed to the city of Guadalaxara. This latter city was at the same time made the capital, from its proximity to the shore of the S. sea, its distance from the same being only 12 leagues. It was at that time very wealthy, but it afterwards fell to decay ; the primacy was also taken from it, and it is nothing now but a miserable village. Its natives are the most polite and best affected to the Spaniards of any in the whole kingdom. (To the n. w. of Compostela, as well as in the districts of Autlan, Ahuxcatlan, and Acaponeta, a tobacco of a superior quality was formerly cultivated.) Lat. 21° 10' w. Long. 104° 40' w. The settlements of this jurisdiction are,
San Pedro, Mazatlan,
Cali may a, Xaltocan.
COMUATO, a small island of the lake or sea of Chalapa, in the district of the alcaldia mayor of Zamora, and kingdom of Nueva Espana. It is of a hot and moist temperature, surrounded by thick reeds and Indian fig-trees. In the dry season it communicates with the mainland. Its population is scanty, and consists of 20 families of Spaniards, and in its plains various herds of large cattle graze. Nine leagues from the capital.
COMUTA, a city of the province and captainship of Pará in Brazil, founded in 1581 by Juan Pedro de Olivciro, on the e. shore of the river Paeaxa. It is at present destroyed, and some small houses alone remain, where, for the convenienee of its situation, a small garrison of Portuguese resides.
CONAHASET, a rocky shoal of the coast of
the province and colony of New England, at the entrance of port Boston.
CONCARY, a river of the province and corregimiento of Cuyo in the kingdom of Chile. It rises from a small lake to the e. of the mountain of the Pie de Palo, and running s, e. returns, forming a curve to the w. when it divides itself into several branches.
CONCEPCION, or Penco, a city of the kingdom of Chile, the capital of the province and corregimiento of its name, founded in 1550 by Pedro de Valdivia. Its situation is upon a barren and uneven territory, somewhat elevated, on the sea-shore, and on the side of a large, noble, and convenient bay. On the n. side it is crossed by a rivulet, and on the s. it is watered by the river Andalien, and lies not far from the Biobio. It is a small city, and its houses and buildings are poor and much reduced. It has, besides the cathedral church, convents of the religious orders of St. Francis, St. Domingo, La Merced, St. Augustin, an hospital of San Juan de Dios, and a college w hich belonged to the regulars of the company of the Jesuits, and which is the best building in it. Its climate is moderately warm, although in the winter the cold is great. It abouiids greatly in all kinds of grain, cattle, and delicious fruits, and these are cultivated in gardens which are found attached to almost every house. It lies open on all sides, being commanded by six eminences ; amongst the which the most prominent is that which is called Del Romitorio, and extends as far as the city. Its only defence is a battery on a level with the water, which defends the anchoring ground of the bay. The natives resemble the rest of tliis kingdom : they are strong, robust, valorous, and well made, most dexterous in the 3 s 2