The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
c o c
COCO, a river of the province and government of Darien in the kingdom of Tierra Firme. It rises in the mountains of the n. and enters the sea opposite the island of Las Palmas, and gives its name to the territory of a Cacique, thus called.
COCOMERACHI, a settlement of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits, in the province of Taraumara, and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya. It is 40 leagues to the w. s.zo. of the town 'And real of the mines of Chiguaga.
COCONUCO, See Cucunuco.
COCOS, some small islands of the Pacific or S. sea, lying close together, and divided by some narrow channels. They abound in cocoa-trees, and from thence take their name. They are also called Santa Cruz, from having been discovered on the day of the invention of the cross. The climate here is pleasant, but the isles are uncultivated and desert. Lat. 5° n.
COCUI, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Tunja in the NueVo Reyno de Granada ; situate at the foot of the sierra Nevada. It is of a cold temperature, but abounds in all kinds of productions, and particularly in wheat, maize, barley, &c. It contains 700 white inhabitants, and 150 Indians. Thirty-two leagues from Tunja, and eight from the settlement of Chita.
COCUPAC, a city and head settlement of the district of the alcaldia mayor of Valladolid in Nueva Espana, and of the bishopric of Mechoaean. Its situation is in a nook to the n. of the great lake. On the e. and ze. are two lofty mountains, which form so many other entrances, the one to the 5. and the other to the n. Its temperature is rather cold than w'arm ; and although it does not want for fruits, it is but ill supplied with water, the only stream it has not running more than the distance of a stone’s throw before it enters a lake. The inhabitants are thus under the necessity of supplying themselves by wells. The population of this city consists in 45 families of Spaniards, 52 of Mustees and Mulattoes, and 150 of Indians. They occupy themselves in the making of tiles or flags ; and the inferior order are muleteers. It has a convent of the religious order of St. Francis.
COD, a cape of the coast of New England and province of Massachusetts. It runs for many leagues towards the sea, forming a large semicircle, and afterwards returning, forms the bay of Barnstable. [See Cape Cod, Barnstable, &c.]
C O H
or country of Labrador. It runs s. e, and enters the St. Lawrence.
CODEGO. See Tierra Bomba.
[CODORUS, a township in York county, Pennsylvania.]
[COEYMANS, a township in Albany county. New York, 12 miles below Albany. By the state census of 1796, S89 of its inhabitants are electors.]
COFANES, a barbarous nation of Indians of the kingdom of Quito, Avhich began to be converted to the Catholic religion in 1602, through the labour and zeal of the Father Rafael Ferrer, of the extinguished company of the Jesuits, and who was killed by the same Indians. The principal settlement, founded by this martyr, with the dedicatory title of San Pedro, is now almost destroyed, though some few inhabitants still remain. The same is situate between the river of its nasne to the n. and that of Azuela to the s. The above river is large and rapid, anti takes its name from these Indians. It rises in the sierra Nevada, or Snowy, runs from u. to c. and enters the Azuela, in lat. 13° n.
COGUA, a settlement of the corregimiento of Zipaguira in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada. It is of a very cold temperature, and abounds in the productions peculiar to its climate, particularly in fire-wood, with which it supplies, for the manufacturing of salt, the settlements of Nemocon and Zipaquira. To this last settlement it is very contiguous ; and it lies nine leagues n, of Santa Fe. Its population is reduced to 70 housekeepers, and as many other Indians.
[CoHANZY, or Casaria, a small river, which rises in Salem county. New Jersey, and running through Cumberland county, empties into Delaware river, opposite the upper end of Bombay hook. It is about SO miles in length, and is navigable for vessels of 100 tons to Bridgetown, 20 miles from its mouth.]
[COHASSET, a township in Norfolk county, Massachusetts, which was incorporated in 1770, and contains 817 inhabitants. It has a Congregational church, and 126 houses, scattered on different farms. Cohasset rocks, which have been so fatal to many vessels, lie oft' this town, about a league from the shore. It lies 25 miles s. e. of Boston, but in a straight line not above half the distance.]
[COHGNAWAGA, a parish in the township of Johnstown, Montgomery county. New York, on the ay. side of Mohawk river, 26 miles w. of Schenectady. This place, which had been settled near SO years, and which was the seat of Sir William Johnson, was mostly destroyed by the British and Indians, under the command of Sir William in the year 1780; in this action Johnson evinced a want of feeling which would have disgraced a savage. The people destroyed in this ex[)cdition were his old neighbours, with whom he had formerly lived in the habits of friendship ; his estate was among them, and the inhabitants had always considered him as their friend and neighbour. These unfortunate people, after seeing their houses and property consumed to ashes, were hurried, such as could walk, into cruel captivity ; those who could not Avalk fell victims to the toraaliawk and scalping knife. See Caghnaw aga.]
[COllOEZ, or the Falls, in Mohawk river, between two and three miles from its mouth, and 10 miles n. of Albany, are a very great natural curiosity. The river above the falls is about 300 yards wide, and approaches them from the n. w. in a