Pages That Mention Colebrooke
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
Cold spring is 4200 feet above the level of the sea ; and few or none of the tropical fruits will flourish in so cold a climate. The general state of the thermometer is from 55° to 63° ; and even sometimes so low as 44° : so that a fire there, even at noon-day, is not only comfortable, but necessary, a great part of the year. Many of the English fruits, as the apple, the peach, and the strawberry, flourish there in great perfection, with several other valuable exotics, as the tea-tree and other oriental productions.)
(Cold Spring Cove, near Burlington, New Jersey, is remarkable for its sand and clay, used in the manufacture of glass ; from whence the glass works at Hamilton, 10 miles w. of Albany, are supplied with these articles.)
COLE, a settlement of the island of Barbadoes, in the district of the parish of St. George, distinct from the other of its name in the same parish.
COLEA, a river of the province and government of Maynas in the kingdom of Quito. It runs s. and enters the Tigre.
(COLEBROOKE, in the «. part of New Hampshire, in Grafton county, lies on the e. bank of Connecticut river, opposite the Great Monadnock, in Canaan, state of Vermont ; joining Cockburne on the s. and Stuartstown on the n. ; 126 miles n. w. by «. from Portsmouth.)
(COLEBROOKE, a Tougb, hilly township on the n. line of Connecticut, in Litchfield county, 30 miles n. w. of Hartford city. It was settled in 1736. Here are two iron works, and several mills, on Still river, a n. w. water of Farmington river. In digging a cellar in this town, at the close of the year 1796, belonging to Mr. John Hulburt, the workmen, at the depth of about 9 or 10 feet, found three large tusks and two thigh-bones of an animal, the latter of which measured each about four feet four inches in length, and 12|; inches in circumference. When first discovered they were entire, but as soon as they were exposed to the air they mouldered to dust. This adds another to the manj^ facts which prove that a race of enormous animals, now extinct, once inhabited the United States.)
(COLERAIN, a township in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania.]
(COLERAIN, a town on the». bank of St. Mary’s river, Camden county, Georgia, 40 or 50 miles from its mouth. On the 29th of June 1796, a treaty of peace and friendship was made and concluded at this place, between the president of the United States, on the one part, in behalf of the United States, and the king’s chiefs and warriors of the Creek nation of Indians, on the other. By
this treaty, the line between the white people and the Indians was established to run from the Currahee mountain to the head or source of the main s. branch of the Oconee river, called by the white people Appalatohee, and by the Indians Tulapoeka, and down the middle of the same.” Liberty was also given by the Indians to the president of the United Stutes to “ establish a trading or military post on the s. side of Alatamaha, about one mile from Beard’s bluff', or any where from thence down the river, on the lands of the Indians and the Indians agreed to “ annex to said post a tract of land of five miles square ; and in return for this and other tokens of friendship on the part of the Indians, the United States stipulated to give them goods to the value of 6000 dollars, and to furnish them with two blacksmiths with tools.)
COLGUE, a settlement of the island of Laxa in the kingdom of Chile ; situate on the shore of the river Tolpan.
COLIMA, the alcaldia mayor and jurisdiction of the province and bishopric of Mechoacán in Nueva Espana. It is bounded e. by the jurisdiction of Zapotlan, s. by that of Mortincs, n. by that of Tuzcacuesco, and w. by that of Autlan, and the port of La Navidad in the kingdom of Nueva Galicia. It carries on a great trade in salt, collected on the coasts of the S. sea, where there are wells and salt grounds, from which great emolument is derived, supplying, as they do, the inland provinces with this article. Formerly the best
cocoa wine of any in the kingdom was made here, from the abundance of this fruit found in all the palm estates ; but the art of bringing it to perfection was lost, and this branch of commerce died away, from the additional cause, that the making of this liquor was prohibited by the viceroy, the Duke of Albuquerque, as being a drink calculated to produce great inebriety. The capital is of the same name ; and the settlements of this district are, Almoloioyan, Zinacantepec,
Nagualapa, Cuatlan. ,
The capital is a town sitimteupon the coast of the S. sea, near the frontiers ofXalisco, in the most fertile and pleasant valley of Nueva Espaiia. It abounds in cacao and other vegetable productions ; is of a hot temperature, and the air is very pure. Its buildings are regular and handsome, 3 R 2