The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
(lereent of Quecliollenan^o, and nkaldia mni/or of Chilapa, in Nueva Espana. It contains 27 families of Indians, and is three leagues from its head settlement.
COLTA, a large lake of the province and forregimiento of Riobamba in the kingdom of Quito, near that city to the s. It is about two leagues in length from n, to s. and is of an oval figure. Its banks are covered with very fine rushes and eneax, or flags; but fish will not breed in it, owing to the coldness of the climate ; it has two very small streams, the one to the w. and passing very near to Riobamba, and the other to the s. entering the n. side of the river Gamote.
(COLUMBIA, a township in Washington county, district of Maine, on Pleasant river, adjoining Macliias on the 7i.e. and was formerly called Plantations No. 12 and 13. It was incorporated in 1796. The town of Machias lies 15 miles to the e. ; it is nine miles from Steuben.)
(Columbia County, in New York, is bounded n. by Rensselaer, s. by Dutchess, e. by the state of Massachusetts, and w. by Hudson river, which divides it from Albany county. It is 32 miles in length and 21 in breadth, and is divided into
eight towns, of which Hudson, Claverack, and Kinderhook, are the chief. It contained in 1790 27,732 inhabitants, and in 1796, 3560 electors.)
(Columbia College. See New York City.)
(Columbia, Territory of. See Washington, or the Federal City.)
(Columbia, a post-town, the capital of Kershaw county, and the seat of government of S. Carolina. It is situated in Camden district, on the e. side of the Congaree, just below the confluence of Saluda and Broad rivers ; the streets are regular, and the town contains upwards of 70 houses. The public offices have, in some measure, been divided, for the accomodation of the inhabitants of the lower counties, and a branch of each retained in Charlestown. It lies 115 miles «. n. u\ of Charlestown, .35 s. w. of Camden, 85 from Augusta in Georgia, and 678 s. u\ of Philadelphia. Jjat. 33° 58' n. Long. 8° 5' ay.)
(Columbia, a flourishing po.st-town in Goochland county, Virginia, on the «. side of James river, at the mouth of the Rivanna. It contains about 40 houses, and a warehouse for the inspection of tobacco. It lies 45 miles above Richmond, 35 from Charlottesville, and 328 s. w. of Philadelphia.)
(Columbia County, in the upper district of Georgia, is bounded by Savannah e. on the n. e, and e. which separates it from the state of S. Carolina, w. of Richmond county. Its shape is very irregular.)
(Columbia, a town on the «. w. territory, on the «. bank of Ohio river, and on thezo. side of the mouth of Little Miami river; about six miles s. e. by e. of fort W ashington, eight e. by s. of Cincinnati, and 87 n. by w. of Lexington in Kentucky. Lat. 38° 44' ? 2 .)
COMACHUEN, Santa Maria de, a settlement of the head settlement of Siguinan, and akaidia mayor of Valladolid, in the province and bishopric of Mechoacan, with 25 families of Indians, whose only occupation is in making saddletrees. Two leagues from its head settlement.
COMALA, a settlement of the head settlement