Pages That Mention Concepcion del Pao
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
21. Don Fray Pedro de Espineira ; elected in 1762 ; he governed until his death, in 1778.
22. Don Francisco Joseph de Maran ; elected in 1779.
Concepcion de la Vega, another city, in the island of St. Domingo, founded by the Admiral Christopher Columbus, on a beautiful and spacious plain, or Uanura^ celebrated for a conquest gained on it by a numerous army of Indians. It has a good parish church, erected into a bishopric, and wliich was afterwards done away with in 1605, it being then embodied with the archbishopric of S. Domingo. it has also a convent of the religious order of St. Francis, in which is deposited and venerated the first cross that the discoverer and conqueror of this country planted here ; which, although the Indians have endeavoured with all their might to break and destroy, has resisted all their eftbrts. Twenty-five leagues from the capital of S. Domingo.
(Concepcion del Pao, a city of the province and government of Caracas ; composed of the inhabitants of Trinity, of Margareta, and of Caracas, who owned the folds in the plains near the Orinoco, to the s. of Barcelona ; they here successively fixed their dwellings, for the purpose of being in the centre of their property, and of superintending it themselves. In 1744 the number of these houses were found considerable enough to acquire the name of village. There are only 2300 people of all classes here, subsisting will] facility by Ihe fertility of the soil. The air and water are good, and the only inconveniences the inhabitants experience are an excessive lieat, and inundations arising from the long and heavy rains. The produce of the land is merely the provisions common to the CQuntry. The wealth of the inhabitants consists entirely in cattle, which they export to Trinity, liia Guarapiche or Orinoco, This village, now a city, is distinguished from St.John the Baptist del Pao, situate in the province of Venezuela, by the title of Concepcion del Pao. Lat. 8° 42' n. Long. 65° 10' ra.)
Concepcion, another, of the head settlement and alcaldia mayor of Leon in Nueva Espana, and of the bishopric of Mechoacan ; annexed to the curacy of Rincon. It contains 208 families of Indians, 100 of Spaniards, and ^0 oi Mustees. It produces wheat, maize, and other seeds, and is a quarter of a league from its curacy, and four leagues from the capital.
Concepcion, another, of the missions which are held by the religious order of St. Francis, in the province of Texas and kingdom of Nueva Espana. It is 112 leagues to the e. n. e. of the presidency of San Antonio de Bejar.
Concepcion, another, of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits, in the province and government of Mainas, of the kingdom of Quito ; situate on the shore of the great river Maranon, on a point of land formed by the same, and where this river is entered by the Apena and the Guallaga,
Concepcion, another, of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits, in the province of Tepeguana, and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya; situate on the bank of the river Florido, near the settlement and real of the mines of Parral.
Concepcion, another, of the missions which belong to the religion of St. Francis, in the province of Taraumara, and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya, lying 17 leagues distant between the s. and s. w. of the real of the mines of San Felipe de Chiguagua.
Concepcion, another, with the surname of Achaguas, being composed of Indians of this nation, in the kingdom of Granada ; of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits in Orinoco; situate on the shore of the river Meta.
Concepcion, another settlement, the capital of the province and captainship of Itamaraca in Brazil ; situate on the top of a mountain by the seaside. It has a magnificeut parish church, and is garrisoned by two companies of troops, it contains 300 housekeepers, and has three large sugar.