Pages That Mention Coroaibo
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
(bring in exchange dry goods, and this they do either by avoiding the vigilance of the guards, or by purchasing a connivance. The population of Coi^ is composed of 10,000 people of all colours ; few slaves are to be seen here, since the Indians, although they everywhere else have a particular partiality for the blacks, entertain a decided aversion against them in this city. This antipathy was very useful in 1797 to the public tranquillity, for when the Negro slaves employed at w ork in the fields, wished to follow the example of the blacks of St. Domingo, and selected chiefs, under whom they committed some robberies, the Indians of Corojoined the white people, and marched against the rebels with most extraordinary courage ; the revolt was thus suppressed almost as soon as it broke out ; the ring-leaders were hanged, and every thing was restored to order ; the rebel army never amounted to more than 400 blacks. All work at Coro is done by Indians, notwithstanding the wages are very low ; indeed they li ve here with so much parsimony that a person cannot fetch fire from his neighbour’s without carrying in exchange a piece of wood of the size of the firing he takes away, and even this is not always done without difficulty. The city has no spring, and the water they drink is brought from the distance of half a league by asses in barrels, of which two compose a load. The houses, though originally well built, bear evident marks of misery, and of the ravages of time; those belongingto the Indians are yet more pitiful. The streets run in parallel lines, but are not paved ; the public buildings consist of a parish church, formerly a cathedral, which title is yet given to it by the inhabitants, although for more than 160 years it has been without a bishop or a chapter, the duty being performed by two curates, belonging to a convent containing about seven or eight Franciscans, and to a parish church in which are three monks of the same order. The civil power is exercised by a cahildo. Since 1799, a military commandant has been established here, who shares at the same time the judicatory authority, and that of the police ; his revenue being 2000 dollars per annum. Two miles to the n. of Coro is an isthmus of about one league in breadth, which joins tlie peninsula of Paragona to the continent ; it stretches out from the s. w. to n. w. about 20 leagues ; is inhabited by Indians and a few whites, whose only employment is the rearing of cattle, which they smuggle over in great numbers to Cura^oa ; the butchers’ shops of that island being always better supplied than those of the principal cities of Ticrra Firme.
This was the only city of Venezuela, except Maracaibo, which had not declared independence on the 2Ist August 1811. See Venezuela. The city is in lat. 11° 24' n. and long. 69° 40'; it is a league distant from the sea, SO leagues w. of Caracas, 33 n. of Barquisimeto, and 55 of Maracaibo.)
COROBAMBA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Chachapoyas in Peru, in which is venerated a miraculous image of Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe. Near it are two caves, each capable of containing 50 horsemen with their spears erect.
COROBANA, a river of the province and government of Guayana, which, according to Mr. Beilin, in his chart and description of the course of a part of the Orinoco, runs continually n. and enters this river near where it runs into the sea.
COROCOTO, a town of the above province and corregimiento, a reduccion of the Pampas Indians ; situate on the shore of the river Tunuyan, near the high road which leads from Mendoza to Buenos Ayres, in the district of which are tiie estates of Carrizal Grande, Carvalillo, Lulunta, and Mendocinos.
COROCUBI, a river of the province and country of Las Amazonas, in the Portuguese possessions. It is small, runs s. and enters the Negro, forming a dangerous torrent or whirl-pool, which bears the same name.