The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
C A V
certain seasons of tlie year it is so filled with fish, for seven leagues from its mouth, that the Indians are accustomed to harpoon them from the shores.
Cauten, a point of land, or cape, which is one of those which form the entrance of the former river.
(CAVELLO, Puerto, Borburata. One league e. of Puerto Cavello, was originally the only resort of vessels trading to this part of Venezuela. Puerto Cavello was merely frequented by smugglers, fishermen, and the outcasts of the interior. The old town is surrounded by tlic sea, excepting a space of a few fathoms to tlie w. ; through which they have now cut a canal communicating to the sea on the n. of the town to that on the s. ; thus forming an island, the egress being by a bridge with a gate which is shut every evening, and at which is placed the principal guard. This island being too small for the increasing population, houses were built on a tongue of land to the w. of the town, which was the only part free from inundation ; and this has now become the residence of the merchants, and the principal place. The total population of Puerto Cavello is 7600, of which, excepting the military and the officers of government, none are of the nobility. The whites are generally employed in trade and navigation ; the chief correspondence being with the ports of the continent or the neighbouring colonies ; for, although the port has been open from 1798 to the trade of the metropolis, there is as yet but. little communication with it. Of about 60 vessels trading to this place, 20 at least are from Jamaica, and 20 from Cura 9 oa, whilst only four or five are from Spain. According to the custom-house books, the cargoes of these veesels are of little value ; but the revenue is defrauded, and the vessels discharge their lading on the coast before entering the port. This place supplies all the w. part of Venezuela,
C A V
and the jurisdiction of Valencia, San Carlos, Bariquisimeto, San Felipe, and a part of the valleys of Aragoa. About 20 Europeans engross the w hole trade. All vessels trading to the neighbourhood resort here for repairs, and nothing but the unwholsoraeness of the air prevents Puerto Cavello becoming the most important port in America. This insalubrity arises from the exhalations from the rain water that accumulates in a clayey marsh to the s. of the city. It is particularly fatal to those who are not seasoned to the climate. In 1793 a Spanish squadron anchored at Puerto Cavello ; but in six months of its stay, it lost one-third of the crew; and in 1802 a French squadron in 20 days lost 16 i officers and men. It has been computed that 20,000 piastres fortes would be sufficient to drain this tatal marsh. The inhabitants are supplied by conduits with water from a river that runs into the sea one- fourth of a league w. of the town. A military commander is also at the head of the police, and is likewise the administrator of justice, his decisions being subject to an appeal to the royal audience. The people have demanded the establishment of a cahildo, but without success. They obtained in 1800 a single alcalde y who is appointed annually ; but great inconveniences have been found to arise from this arrangement.
There is no convent, and but one church, in Puerto Cavello. The foundation of another church was begun, but for want of funds it has not beeh completed. There is a military hospital, and another for the poor. The garrison consists of a company of the regiment of Caracas in time of peace ; but daring war it is reinforced from the militia and troops of the line. 'I'hcre arc from 300 to 400 galley-slaves always employed onthepiiblic works.
Puerto Cavello is 30 leagues from Caracas, in embarking for La Guaira, and 48 leagues in the direction of Valencia, Maracay, Tulraero, La Victoria, atid San Pedro. Reaumur’s thermometer is generally in August at 26°, and in January from 18° to 19°. Lat. 10° 20' «. Long. 70* 30' w. of Paris. See Puerto Cabello.)
(CAVENDISH, a township in Windsor county, Vermont, w. of Wcathersfield, on Black river, having 491 inhabitants. Upon this river, and within this township, the channel has been worn down 100 feet, and rocks of very large dimensions have been undermined and thrown down one upon another. Holes are wrought in the rocks of various dimensions and forms ; some cylindrical, from one to eight feet in diameter, and from one to 15 feet in depth ; others are of a spherical form.