The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
Tlacolula, from whence it is distant a league ant a half to the N.
ACATEPEQUE, S. Franciso de, a settlement of the head settlement of St. Andres de Cholula, and alcaldía mayor of this name. It contains 140 Indian families, and is half a league to the S of its capital.
ACATLAN, a settlement and capital of the alcaldía mayor of this name. It is of a mild temperature, and its situation is at the entrance of the Misteca Baxa. It contains 850 families of Indians, and 20 of Spaniards and Mustees. In its vicinity are some excellent saltgrounds, in which its commerce chiefly consists. The jurisdiction of this alcaldía, which contains four other head settlements of the district, is fertile and pleasant, abounding in flowers, fruits, all kinds of pulse and seeds, and is well watered. They have here large breeds of goats, which they slaughter chiefly for the skin and the fat, salting down the flesh, and sending it to La Puebla and other parts to be sold. In its district are many cultivated lands. It is 55 leagues leagues to the E S E of Mexico. Long. 275° 10' W Lat. 19° 4' N.
another settlement of the same name, with the dedicatory title of S. Andres, in the head settlement and alcaldía mayor of Xalapa, in the same kingdom, situate on a clayey spot of ground, of a cold moist temperature, rendered fertile by an abundance of streams, which in a very regular manner water the lands; although,it being void of mountains and exposed to the N winds, the fruits within its neighourhood do not come to maturity. It contains 180 Indian families, including those of the new settlement, which was established at a league's distance to the S of its head settlement, and which is called San Miguel de las Aguastelas. Acatlan is a league and a half distant from its head settlement.
another settlement, having the dedicatory title of San Pedro, belonging to the head settlement of Malacatepec and alcaldía mayor of Nexapa, in the same kingdom. It contains 80 Indian families, who trade in wool and in the fish called bobo, quantities of which are found in a large river which runs close by the settlement, and which are a great source of emolument to them. It is four leagues N of its capital.
another settlement of the head settlement of Atotonilco, and alcaldía mayor of Tulanzingo in the same kingdom. It contains 115 Indian families, and a convent of the religious order of St. Augustin. — Two leagues N of its head settlement.
ACATLAZINGO, Santa Maria de, a settlement of the head settlement of Xicula, and alcaldía mayor of Nexapa, situate in a plain that is surrounded on all sides by mountains. It contains 67 Indian families, who employ themselves in the culture of the cochineal plant.
ACAXEE, a nation of Indians of the province of Topia. It is well peopled, and was converted to the Catholic faith by the father Hernando de Santaren, and others of the abolished society of the Jesuits, in 1602. They are docile, of good dispositions and abilities. In the time of their idolatry, they used to bend the heads of their dead with their bodies and knees together, and in this posture inter them in a cave, or under a rock, giving them provisions for the journey which they fancied them about to make ; also laying by them a bow and arrows for their defence. Should an Indian woman happen to have died in childbed, the infant was put to death ; for they used to say, it was the cause of her death. These Indians were once induced by a sorcerer to make an insurrection, but it was quelled by the governor of the province, Don Francisco de Ordinola, in the year 1612.
ACAXETE, Santa María de, the head, settlement of the district of the alcaldía mayor of Tepcaca, situate on the slope of the noted sierra of Tlascala. It is of a cold and dry temperature, contains seven Spanish families, 10 of Mustees and Mulattoes, and 176 of Mexican Indians. In its vicinity is a reservoir, formed of hewn stone, which serves at once to catch the waters as they come down from the sierra, and to conduct them to Tepcaca, three leagues N N W of its capital.
CORIXAS, a river of the kingdom of Brazil, It rises in the sierra Bermeja, runs n. forming a curve, and eaters the Tocantines near that of Los Monges, according to tl>e account given by the Portuguese.
CORIXAS, some sierras of the same kingdom, which run s. s. e. and are a continuation of the sierra Bermeja ; they then run e. forming a curve, as far as the river Tocantines, and extend their course on as far as the shore of the Araguaya.
(CORNISH, a township in Cheshire county, New Hampshire, on the e. bank of Connecticut river, between Claremont and Plainfield, about 15 miles n. of Charlestown, and 16 s. of Dartmouth college. It was incorporated in 1763. In 1775 it contained 309, and in 1790, 982 inhabitants.
CORO, Santa Ana de, a city of the province and government of Venezuela, thus named in the time of the Indians, after the district called Coriana. It was founded by Juan de Ampues in 1529. The Weltzers, under the orders of Nicholas Federman, were the first Avho peopled it, giving it the name of Cordoba, to distinguish it from the other city of the same name which had been founded by Gonzalo de Ocampo in the province of Cumana, This name it afterwards lost, and took that of Coro, which it preserves to this day, from a small settlement of Indians thus named. It is of a dry and hot temperature, but so healthy that physicians are said here to be of no use. The territory, although sandy and lack of water, produces every kind of vegetable production ; so that it may be said to abound in every thing that luxury or con^ venience may require. Here are large breeds of cow-cattle and goats, and a considerable number of good mules. Its articles of merchandize, such as cheese, tanned hides, and cacao, meet with a ready sale in Cartagena, Caracas, and the island of St. Domingo. It has a reduced convent of the religious order of St. Francis, and an hermitage dedicated to St. Nicholas. The town is very rich. It was plundered, by the English in 1567. Its church was a cathedral, and the head of the bishopric, from the time that it was erected in 1532 until 1636, when this title was transferred to Santiago of Caracas. It is two leagues distant from the sea, where there is a port insecure, but much frequented by trading vessels.
(From the time that the governor began to reside at Caracas, in 1576, there remained no conspicuous authority at Coro but the bishop and chapter, and they did all they could to follow th« governor; and indeed, not being able to leave Coro by legal measures, they put tlieir wishes into effect by flight, in 1636. At three leagues from the city are lands where they cultivate with success, if not with abundance, all the usual produce of the country. The inhabitants, who are much addicted to indolence, glory that they are descended from the first conquerors of the country ; and there is here, generally speaking, more rank than wealth, and more idleness than industry. The little trade that is carried on here consists in mules, goats, hides, sheep-skins, cheeses, &c. which come in a great measure from the interior, and the larger part fromCarora; shipments of these articles are made for the islands. The most common intercourse is with Cura 9 oa, from whence they 2
(bring in exchange dry goods, and this they do either by avoiding the vigilance of the guards, or by purchasing a connivance. The population of Coi^ is composed of 10,000 people of all colours ; few slaves are to be seen here, since the Indians, although they everywhere else have a particular partiality for the blacks, entertain a decided aversion against them in this city. This antipathy was very useful in 1797 to the public tranquillity, for when the Negro slaves employed at w ork in the fields, wished to follow the example of the blacks of St. Domingo, and selected chiefs, under whom they committed some robberies, the Indians of Corojoined the white people, and marched against the rebels with most extraordinary courage ; the revolt was thus suppressed almost as soon as it broke out ; the ring-leaders were hanged, and every thing was restored to order ; the rebel army never amounted to more than 400 blacks. All work at Coro is done by Indians, notwithstanding the wages are very low ; indeed they li ve here with so much parsimony that a person cannot fetch fire from his neighbour’s without carrying in exchange a piece of wood of the size of the firing he takes away, and even this is not always done without difficulty. The city has no spring, and the water they drink is brought from the distance of half a league by asses in barrels, of which two compose a load. The houses, though originally well built, bear evident marks of misery, and of the ravages of time; those belongingto the Indians are yet more pitiful. The streets run in parallel lines, but are not paved ; the public buildings consist of a parish church, formerly a cathedral, which title is yet given to it by the inhabitants, although for more than 160 years it has been without a bishop or a chapter, the duty being performed by two curates, belonging to a convent containing about seven or eight Franciscans, and to a parish church in which are three monks of the same order. The civil power is exercised by a cahildo. Since 1799, a military commandant has been established here, who shares at the same time the judicatory authority, and that of the police ; his revenue being 2000 dollars per annum. Two miles to the n. of Coro is an isthmus of about one league in breadth, which joins tlie peninsula of Paragona to the continent ; it stretches out from the s. w. to n. w. about 20 leagues ; is inhabited by Indians and a few whites, whose only employment is the rearing of cattle, which they smuggle over in great numbers to Cura^oa ; the butchers’ shops of that island being always better supplied than those of the principal cities of Ticrra Firme.
This was the only city of Venezuela, except Maracaibo, which had not declared independence on the 2Ist August 1811. See Venezuela. The city is in lat. 11° 24' n. and long. 69° 40'; it is a league distant from the sea, SO leagues w. of Caracas, 33 n. of Barquisimeto, and 55 of Maracaibo.)
COROBAMBA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Chachapoyas in Peru, in which is venerated a miraculous image of Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe. Near it are two caves, each capable of containing 50 horsemen with their spears erect.
COROBANA, a river of the province and government of Guayana, which, according to Mr. Beilin, in his chart and description of the course of a part of the Orinoco, runs continually n. and enters this river near where it runs into the sea.
COROCOTO, a town of the above province and corregimiento, a reduccion of the Pampas Indians ; situate on the shore of the river Tunuyan, near the high road which leads from Mendoza to Buenos Ayres, in the district of which are tiie estates of Carrizal Grande, Carvalillo, Lulunta, and Mendocinos.
COROCUBI, a river of the province and country of Las Amazonas, in the Portuguese possessions. It is small, runs s. and enters the Negro, forming a dangerous torrent or whirl-pool, which bears the same name.