Pages That Mention Quixos y Macas
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
C I E
C I N
manufactures peculiar to the country, such as coarse trowsers, baizes, and blankets. Although it is some years since this province has received any mischief from the infidels who inhabit the mountains of the Andes, yet it has regular advanced detachments or guards stationed for the defence of the frontiers, prepared against a recurrence of the evils experienced in former times. As we have before said, it is the largest province, so also it is the best peopled, since it contains upAvards of 50,000 souls and 33 settlements, the capital of Avhich has the same name. Its repartimiento, or tribute, used to amount to 226,730 dollars, and it used to pay an alcavala of 1814 dollars per annum. The settlements are,
[CICERO, a military township in New York, on the s. tv. side of Oneida lake, and between it, the Salt lake, and the Salt springs.]
CICOBASA, a river of the province and government of Quixos y Macas in the kingdom of Quito, and of the district of the latter. It rises in the cordillera of the province of Cuenca, runs s. and enters the river Santiago.
lies close to it, and which gives it its name. It wag a reduccton of the monks of St. Domingo.
CIENEGA of Oro, another (settlement), with the surname of Oro, in the province and government of Cartagena, of the same kingdom, it is of the district of Tolu, and formed by the re- union of other settlements in the year 1776, effected by the Governor Don Juan Pimienta.
==CINAGUA Y GUACANA, the alcaldia mayor and jurisdiction of the province and bishopric of Mechoacán in Nueva Espana. It is 80 leagues long from e. to w. and 60 wide from n. to s. Its territory is for the most part mountainous and uneven, and its temperature bad. Its productions are large cattle, wax, maize, and fruits. Tire capital is the settlement of the same name, of a hot temperature, and inhabited by 25 families of Indians, who cultivate maize and melons, upon which this scanty population consists, though it was formerly of some consideration. It has suffered, no doubt, from the iinkindness of the temperature, and from the wantof water. The jurisdiction is 80 leagues to the w. with a slight inclination to the s. of Mexico. The other settlements are, Guacana, Paraquaro,
Santa Ana Turicato. Punguco.
CINALOA, a province and government of Nueva España. It is between the w. and «. of Mexico, from whence it is distant 300 leagues. It extends in length as far as proselytes have been made to the gospel, viz. to 140° ; and it extends to 40° in width. On the e. of it are the loftiest sierras of Topia, running towards the n. and on the w. it is embraced by the arm of the sea of California. On the s. it has the town of Culiacan, and to the n. the innumerable nations of Indians, the boundaries of which are unknown. This province lies between lat. 27° and 32° n . ; this being the extent to Avhich the inissonaries have penetrated. The temperature is extremely hot, although the cold is intense during the months of December and January. It rains here very little, especially upon the coast ; and seldom more than 3 p
mills. The whole of the district of its territory is covered with estates and country-seats, which abound in all kinds of fruits, at once rendering it a place pleasing and advantageous for residence.
Concepcion, anotlier, of the province and government of the Chiquitos Indians, in the same kingdom ; a reduccion of the missions which were held in this province by the regulars of the company of the Jesuits ; situate between the source of the river Verde and the river Ubay.
Concepcion, another, of the province and country of the Amazonas, in the Portuguese possessions ; a reduccion of the missions which are held by the Carmelite fathers of this nation ; situate on the shore of a pool or lake formed by the river Urubu. . .
Concepcion, another, of the province and government of Tucumán in Peru, and district of Chaco ; being a reduccion of the Abipones Indians, of the mission held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits, and to-day under the charge of the religious order of S. Francisco.
Concepcion, another, of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Je-
suits, in the province and government of Buenos Ayres ; situate on the w. shore of the river Uruguay. (Lat. 27° 58' 43". Long. 53° 27' 13" re.)
Concepcion, another, of the missions which were held by the regulars of the company of Jesuits, in the country of the Chiquitos Indians, in the kingdom of Peru ; situate to the e. of that of San Francisco Xavier.
Concepcion, another, of the province and government of Quixos and Macas in the kingdom of Quito, which produces nothing but maize, yucas^ plantains, and quantities of aloes, with the which the natives pay their tribute, and which are much esteemed in Peru.
Concepcion, a town of the province and government of Tucumán in Peru, in the jurisdiction of the city of Santiago del Estero, between the rivers Bermejo and Salado. It was destroyed by the infidel Indians.
(Concepcion, a large bay on the c. side of Newfoundland island, whose entrance is between cape St. Francis on the s. and Flamborough head on the n. It runs a great way into the land in a s. direction, having numerous bays on the w. side, on which are two settlements, Carboniere and Havre de Grace. Settlements were made here in 1610, by about 40 planters, under Governor John Guy, to whom King James had granted a patent of incorporation.)
C O Q C O Q
tifni appearance. A mountain similar to this is found in the marshes of Maule.]
Copiapo, a river Avhich rises in the cordillera. It runs two leagues to the w. passes near the settlement of its name, and empties itself into the S. sea, serving as a port for vessels.
Morro de Copiapo, a mountain, called Morro de Copiapo, in the coast, at the side of the port of its name.
COPORAQUE, another. See Vilcomayo.
(COPPER Mine, a large river of New Britain, reckoned to be the most n. in N. America. Taking a n. course, it falls into the sea in lat, 19P n. and about long. 119° a;, from Greenwich. The accounts brought by the Indians of this river to the Rritish ports in Hudson bay, and the specimens of copper produced by them, induced Mr. Hearne to set out from fort Prince of Wales, in December 1770, on a journey of discovery. He reached the river on the 14th July, at 40 miles distance from the sea, and found it all the way encumbered with shoals and falls, and emptying itself into it over a dry flat of the shore, the tide being then out, which seemed by the edges of the ice to rise about 12 or 14 feet. This rise, on account of the falls, will carry it but a very small way within the river’s mouth ; so that the water in it has not the least brackish taste, Mr. Hearne had the most extensive view of the sea, which bore n. w. by w. and n. e. when he was about eight miles up the river. The sea at the river’s mouth was full of islands and shoals ; but the ice was only thawed away about three-fourths of a mile from the shore, on the 17th of July. The Esquimaux had a quantity of whale-bone and seal-skins at their tents on the shore.)
COQUIMBO, a province and corregimiento of the kingdom of Chile ; bounded e. by the province of Tucuman, of the kingdom of Peru, tho cordillera running between ; s. by the province of Quillota; and w. by the Pacific ocean. It is 80 leagues in length s. and 40 in width e, w. Its temperature is very benign ; and on account of its not raining much in the sierra,, through the low situation of this part of the province, the snow and frost is not so common here, nor does it stay upon the ground so long as it does upon the parts which lie s. of Santiago. For the same reason the rivers are few, and th# largest of them are those of Los Santos or Limari, and that which passes through its capital. Many huanmos and vicunas breed here. The territory is for the most part broken and uneven, and produces, although not in abundance, the same fruits as in the whole kingdom, such as grain, wine, and oil of excel* lent quality. It has many gold mines, likewise some of silver, copper, lead, sulphur, white lime, and salt ; but the most abundant of all are those of copper; large quantities of this metal having been sent to Spain for founding artillery, and indeed from the same source has been made all the artillery in this kingdom. This metal is found of two sorts, one which is called campanal, and is only fit for founding, and the other, which has a mixture of gold, and is called de labrar,, or working metal, and which is known only in this province. Here also they make large quantities of rigging for ships. Its inhabitants may amount to 15,000. [In this province is found tlie quisco tree, with thorns of eight inches long ; the same being used by the natives for knitting needles. It is noted for producing the best oysters, and for a resin which is yielded from the herb chilca. See Chieb.] The capital bears the same name, or that of La Serena. This was the second settlement of the kingdom, and founded by the order of Pedro de Valdivia, by Captain Juan Bohon, in 1543, in the valley of Cuquimpi, which gave it its name, and which, being corrupted, is now called Coquimbo, and El Segundo de la Serena, in memory of the country of Valdivia in Estremadura. It lies at a quarter of a league’s distance from the sea, and is situate
Airihuanca, Curasco, Chuquibatnba, Vilcabamba, Mamara, Turpay, Aquira, Llaqua,
COTAHUIZITLA, a settlement of the head settlement and alcaldia mayor of Cuicatlan in Nueva Espana. It is of a hot temperature, contains 28 families of Indians, who are busied in making mats, which they cs\\ petates. It belongs to the curacy of Atlatlauca, the capital of the alcaldia mayor of this name; being distant 10 leagues from its capital.
COTICA, a river of Guayana, in the part possessed by the Dutch, or colony of Surinam. It runs n. until it comes very near the coast, making many turns, and then changing its course e. enters the Comowini. At its mouth is a fort to defend its entrance, called Someldick.
COTIJA, Valley of, of the alcaldia mayor of
Tinguindin in Nueva Espana. It is more than two leagues in circumference, and in it live 205 families of Spaniards. It is of a mild temperature, and abounds in seeds. Seven leagues to the w. of its capital.
COTLALTA, a settlement and head settlement of the alcaldia mayor of Tuxtla in Nueva Espana. It contains 140 families of Indians, and three or four of Spaniards. It abounds greatly in tamarinds, of which are made excellent conserves.
COTOCOLLAO, a settlement of the kingdom of Quito, in the corregimiento of the district of the Cinco Leguas de la Capital; being situate just where the beautiful llanura or plain of lilaquito or Rumi-Pampa terminates. Its territory extends to n. w. upon the skirt of the mountain Pichincha, and is bounded on the n. by the settlement of Pomasque. It is of a somewhat cold and moist temperature ; and in it is the county of Selva Florida, of the house of Guerrero Ponce de Leon, one of the most ancient and illustrious of the kingdom.
COTOPACSI, a mountain and desert, or paramo, of the province and corregimiento of Tacunja in the kingdom of Quito, to the s. and onefourth to s. e. It is of the figure of an inverted truncated cone, and is in height 2952 Parisian feet above the level of the sea : on its summit, which is perpetually covered with snow, is a volcano, which burst forth in 1698, in such a dreadful manner as not only to destroy the city of Tacunja, with three fourths of its inhabitants, but other settlements also. It likewise vomited up a river of mud, which so altered the face of the province, that the missionaries of the Jesuits of Maynos, seeing so many carcases, pieces of furniture, and houses floating down the Maranon, were persuaded amongst themselves that the Almighty had visited this kingdom with some signal destruction ; they, moreover, wrote circular letters, and transmitted them open about the country, to ascertain Avhat number of persons were remaining alive. These misfortunes, though in a moderate degree, recurred in the years 1742, 1743, 1760, 1768. From the e. part of this mountain the Napo takes its rise; and from the s. the Cotuche and the Alagues, which, united, form the river San Miguel, and afterwards, with others, the Patate ; to this the Chambo joins itself, which afterwards degenerates.
CUR CURIBISA, a river of the province and government of Quijos and Macas, in the district of *he second, and in the kingdom of Quito. It rises in the country of the Xibaros Indians, runs inclining to the s. e. and enters the Santiago. CURICO, San Joseph de, a town of the province and corregimiento of Maule in the kingdom of Chile ; situate on the shore of the river Huaico. It is small, and but thinly peopled, its inhabitants being for the most part composed of people of colour. [The metal of the mine lately discovered here has obtained the name of natural avanturine, from its being filled with brilliant particles that give it a beautiful appearance. This metal is used by the goldsmiths for rings, bracelets, and other ornaments of jewellery.] CURICURARI, a river of the province and country of Las Amazonas, in the part possessed by the Portuguese. It runs e. between the rivers Cicayuri and Yurubechi, and enters the Negro. CURIEPE, a settlement of the province and government of Venezuela ; situate on the coast, near the point or cape of Codera, on the shore of the river of its name. Curiepe. This river rises in the mountains near the coast, runs e. and enters the sea in the bay formed by the cape Codera.
CURIES, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Yea in Peru ; annexed to one of the curacies of the Indians of its capital. CURIGUACURU, a river of Nueva Andalucia, Austral or Inferior, in the province of Guayana. It flows down from the mountains of the Caribes Indians to the n. and. running s. and increasing its waters by many other streams, enters the Maranon. CURIGUIMAR, a lake of the province and government of Guayana or Nueva Andalucia, on the shore of the river Orinoco, close to the town of Sanchez. CURIGUIRES, a barbarous nation of Indians, who inhabit the woods bordering upon the source of the river Cuchigaras, and bounded by the Indians of this name, as also by the Cumavaris. Some of these Indians are warlike, and of gigantic stature. CURIMON, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Aconcagua in the kingdom of Chile in the district of which is a convent of the religious recollects, or strict observers of the order of St. ■ Francis, bearing the title of Santa Rosa de Vfr terbo. CURINAS, a barbarous nation of Indians, who inhabit the s. part of the river Maranon. It is but little known, and all that is traced of them is, that they are in continual warfare with the Aguas ; so that their numbers are gradually diminishing. CURIPANA, a port of the coast of the N. sea, in the province and government of Cumana, to the s. of the city of Cariaco. CURIQUAXES, S. Francisco de los, a settlement of the province and government of Quixos and Macas in the kingdom of Quito. It belongs to the district of the former, and is one of those which compose the reduccion of the Sucurabos Indians, held at the charge of the regulars of the company of Jesuits. CURITI, a small settlement of the jurisdiction of the town of San Gil, and corregimiento of Tunja, in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada ; annexed to the curacy of Guane. It is of a very wood temperature, pleasant and agreeable. Its natives, who should amount to 30 or 40 Indians, are docile, mild, and of good dispositions. CURITIMI see Corentin CURITUBA, a town of the province and captainship of Rey in Brazil ; situate near the coast. Curitcjba, a river, called also Yguazii, in the province and government of Paraguay. It runs w. collecting the waters of many other rivers, and enters with a large stream into the Parana. See Yguazu.
CURU, a river of the province and captainship of Seara in Brazil. It runs n. and enters the sea, between the coast of Los Humos and the point of Los Baxos or Arricifes. CURUA, a river of the province and captainship of Para in Brazil. It rises in the country of the Aritues Indians, runs to the n.n.e. and enters the river of Las Amazonas on the 5. side. CURUARI, a river of the kingdom of Brazil, in the territory of the Cayapos Indians. It rises in its mountains, runs s.s.e. and enters the n. side of the large river Parana. CURUAT, a small river of the province and government of Guayana. It runs nearly parallel with the river Caroni, collecting the waters of many others in its course, until it enters this river. CURUAU, an island of the N. sea ; situate at the mouth or entrance of the river of Las Amazonas, to the s. of the island of La Penitencia. CURUA-UASU, a village and settlement of the Portuguese, in the kingdom of Brazil ; situate on the shore of a small river which enters the Sono.