Pages That Mention Acantepec
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
[ACAAY, a parish in Paraguay, situate on a small river which runs into the Río Paraguay. It is about 14 leagues SE of Asuncion. Lat. 25° 54' 7" S Long. 57° 25' W.]
ACACUNA, a mountain of Peru, in the province and corregimiento of Arica in Peru. It is very lofty, and is four leagues distant from the S. sea; is very barren, and situate between the promontory of Ilo and the river Sama. Lat. 70° 29' S [Long. 18° 35' W.]
ACADIA, a province and peninsula of N. America, on the E coast of Canada, between the island or bank of Newfoundland and New England, by which it is bounded on the w. It is more than 100 leagues in length from N W S E and nearly 80 in width, from NE to SW from the gulph of St. Lawrence to the river Santa Cruz. It was discovered in 1497 by Sebastian Cabot, sent thither from England by Henry VII. The French, under the command of Jacob Cartier, of St. Maloes, established themselves here in 1534, in order to carry on a codfishery on the bank of Newfoundland; and in 1604, Peter Guest, a gentleman of the household of Henry IV of France, was sent by that king to establish a colony, which he founded at Port Royal. The English entered it under Gilbert Humphry, in consequence of a grant which had been made to this person by Queen Elizabeth, and gave it the title of Nova Scotia. In 1621 King James I made a donation of it to the Earl of Stirling; and in 1627 the French, commanded by Kirk de la Rochelle, made themselves masters of it, destroying all the establishments of the English, who were obliged to surrender it up, in 1629, by the treaty of St. Germains. The French shortly afterwards lost it; a Governor Philip having taken possession of it; but they, however, regained it in 1691, through the conduct of Mr. De Villebon. In order to settle the pretensions of the rival courts, commissioners were, by mutual consent, appointed in the peace of Riswick, in 1697, to consider which should be the limits of Nova Scotia and New England; and in the peace of Utrecht, it was entirely ceded to the English, who afterwards returned to it. This beautiful country contains many rivers and lakes; the principal of these is the Rosignol, well stocked with fish: there are also many woods, full of excellent timber, and thronged with very singular birds; as, for instance, the Colibri, or hummingbird, and various others. The same woods abound in many kinds of fruits and medicinal herbs. It is very fertile in wheat, maize, pulse of all sorts, and also produces cattle of various kinds, animals of the chase, and abundance of fine fish. Its principal commerce is in skins and salt fish. The winter is longer and colder than in Europe. The capital is Port Royal.— [The name of Acadia was first applied to a tract from the 40th to the 46th degree of N lat. granted to De Mons, Nov. 8, 1603, by Henry IV of France. For the present state of this country, see NOVA SCOTIA.]
ACAGUATO, a settlement of the head settlement of the district and alcaldía mayor of Tancitaro. It is so reduced as to consist of no more than 15 families of Indians, who maintain themselves by sowing some maize, and other vegetable productions. — Eight leagues S of the capital.
ACAHILA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Yamparaes in Peru, dependent on the archibishopric of Charcas, and annexed to the curacy of S. Christobal de Pilcomayo.
ACAIA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Caxatambo in Peru, annexed to the curacy of Churin.
ACAMBARO, the head settlement of the district of the alcaldía mayor of Zelaya, in the province and bishopric of Mechoacán. It contains 490 families of Indians, 80 of Mustees and Mulattoes, and a convent of the order of St. Francis. In its district there are other small settlements or wards.— Seven leagues S of its capital.
ACAMISTLAHUAC, the head settlement of the district of the alcaldía mayor of Tasco, annexed to the curacy of its capital, from whence it is distant two leagues to the E N E. It contains 30 Indian families.
ACAMUCHITLAN, a settlement of the head settlement of the district of Texopilco, and alcaldía mayor of Zultepec. It contains 60 Indian families, whose commerce is in sugar and honey. It produces also maize, and cultivates many vegetable productions. — Five leagues N of its head settlement.
ACAMON, a river of the province and government of Guayana, or Nueva Andalucia. It arises in the serranias of Usupama; runs W N W and enters the Caroni.
ACANTEPEC, the head settlement of the alcaldía mayor of Tlapa. It is of a cold and moist temperature, contains 92 Indian families, among which are included those of another settlement in its vicinity, all of whom maintain themselves by manufacturing cotton stuffs.
ACANTI, a river of the province and government of Darien, in the kingdom of Tierra Firme. It rises in the mountains which lie towards the N and empties itself into the sea between Cape Tiburon and the bay of Calidonia.
ACAPALA, a settlement of the province and alcaldía mayor of Chiapa, in the kingdom of Guatemala. Lat. 16° 53' N Long. 93° 52' W [It is situate on the Tobasco river, near the city of Chiapa, and not far from a bay in the S. sea, called Teguantipac.]
CAPANA, a river of the province and country of the Amazonas, in the part belonging to the Portuguese. It rises in the territory of the Yaveis Indians, between the rivers Cuchivara and the Madera ; runs to the s. and turning to the s. s. e. enters into one of the lakes which forms the latter river.
CAPANATOIAQUE, a small settlement of the head settlement of Acantepec, and alcaldía mayor of Tlapa, in Nueva España. Its temperature is warm, and it contains 90 families of Mexican Indians, who employ themselves in the cultivating and dressing of cotton.
CAPANEMA, a settlement of the province and captainship of Todos Santos in Brazil ; situate on the shore of the river of its name, near the bay.
Capanema, a river of the same province, which rises near the coast, runs e. and enters the sea in the bay.
CAPANEREALTE, a river of the province and alcaldía mayor of Soconusco, in the kingdom of Guatemala. It runs into the S. sea between the rivers Colate and Gueguetlan.
CAPARE, an island of the river Orinoco, in the province and government of Guayana; situate at the entrance, and one of those forming the mouths, of that river.
CAPARRAPI, a small settlement of the jurisdiction of the city of Palma, and corregimiento of Tunja, in the new kingdom of Granada. Its temperature is warm ; the number of its inhabitants is much reduced ; they may, however, still amount to 40 housekeepers : its only productions are some maize, cotton, yucas, and plantains.
CAPATARIDA, a settlement of the province and government of Maracaibo ; situate on the coast, at the mouth of the river so called.
Capatarida, the river which rises near the coast, runs n. and enters the sea.
(CAPATI. Within a very few years has been discovered in the gold mine of this place, on the mountains of Copiapo, a new immalleable sort of metal, of a kind unknown to the miners ; but Molina imagined it to be no other than platina.)
CAPAUILQUE, a settlement of the province and corregimiento ofYamparaes, and archbishopric of Charcas, in Peru.
(CAPE St. Andrew’s, on the coast of Paraguay, or La Plata, S, America. Lat. 38° 18' s. Long. 58° 2' w.)
(Cape St. Antonio, or Anthonio, is the point of land on the s. side of La Plata river in S. America, which, with cape St. Mary on the n. forms the mouth of that river. Lat. 36° 32' s. Long, 56° 45' w.)
(Cape St. Augustine, on the coast of Brazil, S. America, lies s. of Pernambuco. Lat. 8° 39' s. Long. 35° 8' w.)
(Cape Blow-me-down, which is the s. side of the entrance from the bay of Fundy into the basin of Minas, is the easternmost termination of a range of mountains, extending about 80 or 90 miles to the gut of Annapolis; bounded n. by the shores of the bay of Fundy, and s. by the shores of Annapolis river.)
(Cape Cod, anciently called Mallebarre by the French, is the s. e. point of the bay of Massachusetts, opposite cape Ann. Lat. 42° 4' n. Long. 70° 14' w. from Greenwich. See Barnstaple County and Province Town.)
(Cape Elizabeth, a head-land and township in Cumberland county, district of Maine. The cape lies in n. lat. 43° 33' e. by s. from the centre of the town nine miles, about 20 s. w. of Cape Small point, and 12 n e. from the mouth of Saco river. The town has Portland on the n. e. and Scarborough s. w. and contains 1355 inhabitants. It was incorporated in 1765, and lies 126 miles n. e. of Boston.)
(Cape Fear is the s. point of Smith’s island, which forms the mouth of Cape Fear river into two channels, on the coast of N. Carolina, s. w. of cape Look-out, and remarkable for a dangerous shoal called the Frying-pan, from its form. Near this cape is Johnson’s fort, in Brunswick county, and district of Wilmington. Lat. 33° 57' n. Long. 77° 56' w.)
(Cape Fear River, more properly Clarendon, affords the best navigation in N. Carolina. It opens to the Atlantic ocean by two channels. 'I'he s. w. and largest channel, between the s. w. end of Smith’s island, at Bald head, where the light-house stands, and the e. end of Oakes island s. w. from fort Johnston. The new inlet is between the sea-coast and the n. e. end of Smith’s island. It will admit vessels drawing 10 or 11 feet, and is about three miles wide at its entrance, having 18 feet water at full tides over the bar. It continues its breadth to the flats, and is navigable for large vessels 21 miles from its mouth, and 14 from Wilmington ; to which town vessels drawling 10 or 12 feet can reach without any risk. As you ascend this river you leave Brunswick on the left and Wilmilgton on the right. A little above Wilmington the river divides into n. e. and n. w. branches. The former is broader than the latter, but is neither so deep nor so long. The n. w. branch rises within a few miles of the Virginia line, and is formed by the junction of Haw and Deep rivers. Its general course is s. e. Sea ves-