504

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Show Translation

504

CON

C O N

on the banks of the river of its name, near where
this river joins that of Florido. It is garrisoned
by a captain, a lieutenant, a serjeant, and 33 sol
diers, to guard against the irruptions of the infidel
Indians. In its vicinity are the estates of La Ci
enega, Sapian, and El Pilar. Fifty-eight leagues
to the n.n.e. of the city of Guadalaxara.

CONCHUCOS, a province and corresimiento
of Peru ; bounded n. by the province of Huama
chucos, n. e. by that of Pataz, and separated from
thence by the river Marafion, e. and s. e. by the
province of Huraalies, and s. by that of Caxa
tambo. It is 52 leagues in length, and in some
parts 20 in width. It is of a very irregular figure,
and of various temperature, according to the dif
ferent situation of its territories ; cold in all the
parts bordering upon the cordil/era, mild in some
parts, and in others excessively hot. It is 'V-ery
pleasant, and it has all kinds of fruits, which it
produces in abundance, and in the same manner
wheat, barley, and pot herbs. On its skirts are
found numerous herds of cattle of every species,
and from the wools of some of these are made the
cloth manufactures of the country, which meet
with a ready demand in the other provinces. The
principal rivers by which it is watered are three ;
and these are formed by various streams : the one
of them enters that of Santa to the zo. and the
other two the Marafion. The most s. is called De
Miraflores, and the other, which is very large,
keeps the name of the province. Here are some
mines of silver, which were formerly very rich ;
as also some lavaderos, or washing places of gold,
of the purest quality, the standard weight of it
being 23 carats. Also in the curacy of Llamelin
are some mines of brimstone, and a fountain or
stream, the waters of which, falling down into a
deep slough, become condensed and converted into
a stone called Catachi, in the form of columns much
resembling wax-candles, of a very white colour.
The same substance is used as a remedy against
the bloody flux, and it is said, that being made
into powders, and mixed Avith the white of an egg,
it forms a salve which accelerates in a Avonderful
manner the knitting of fractured bones. It com
prehends 15 curacies, Avithout the annexed settle
ments, all of Avhich, the former and the latter, are

as folloAVS :

Huari del Rey, the ca
pital,

Chavin,

Huantar,

San Marcos,

San Ildefonso,

San Christoval,
Yunga,

Uco,

Paucas,

Yanas,

Huachi,

Rapayan,

Llapo,

Llamelin,

Yupan,

Acso,

Ancos,

M irgas,

Tauca,

Taquia

Cavana,

Siccican,

Huendoval,

San Luis de Huari,

Pallasca,

Chacas,

Pampas,

Piscobainba,

Lacabamba,

Sihuas,

Conch UCOS,

Puruay,

Corongo,

Huacachi,

CONCHUCOS, a settlement of the same pro
vince
; annexed to the curacy of Pallasca.

CONCHUCOS, a river of the province and cor
regimiento of the same name in Peru, Avhich rises
in the cordillera. It runs s. and enters the Ma
ranon near the settlement of Uchos in the province
of Andahuailas.

CONCON, a port of the coast of the kingdQm
of Chile, in the S. sea, and province and corregi
miento of Quillota,

(CONCORD, a post-toAvn of New Hampshire,
very flourishing, and pleasantly situated on the
w. bank of Merrimack river, in Rockingham
county, eight miles above Hookset falls. The
legislature, of late, have commonly held their ses
sions here ; and from its central situation, and a
thriving back country, it will probably become the
permanent seat of government. Much of the trade
of the upper country centres here. A liandsorae
tall bridge across the Merrimack connects this
town Avith Pembroke. It has 1747 inhabitants,
and Avas incorporated in 1765. The Indian name
Avas Penacook. It was granted by Massachusetts,
and called Rumford. Tlie compact part of the
town contains about 170 houses, a Congregational
churcli, and an academy, which was incorporated
in 1790. It is 54 miles w. n. w. of Portsmouth,
58 s. w. of Dartmouth college, and 70 n. from
Boston. Lat. 43” 12' n. Long. 71° 31' a?.)

(Concord, in Essex county, Vermont, lies on
Connecticut river, opposite a part of the Fifteen
mile falls.)

(Concord, in Massachusetts, a post-town, one
of the most considerable towns in Middlesex
county ; situated on Concord river, in a healthy
and pleasant spot, nearly in the centre of the
county, and 18 miles n. w. of Boston, and 17 e.
of Lancaster. Its Indian name Avas Musquetequid;
and it owes its present name to the peaceable man
ner in which it was obtained from the natives.
The first settlers, among whom Avere the Rev.
Messrs. Buckley and Jones, having settled- the

2

Page Notes

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page