347

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Show Translation

CAY

place on the 12th of January 1809 ; the English
in this brave contest having been commanded by
Lieutenant-colonel Marques, and Captain Yeo.J
Besides the capital tliere are in this island the
towns of Armire, inhabited by Jews, as likewise
those of Matuiri, Matahuri, Courrou, and Cona-
nama, inhabited by French, Negroes, Mustees, and
Mulattoes ; but few by Indians, these living for the
most part retired in the mountains and Avoods to
the s. These towns were converted to the faith by
the society of the Jesuits, who had here established
a mission, Avhich afterwards fell to decay.

(The province of Cayenne is bounded on the n.
by the Dutch colony of Surinam; w. by tlie woods
and mountains inhabited by barbarians, and s. by
the country of the Portuguese on the borders of the
Maranon.) The principal rivers which water it,
and which empty themselves into the Atlantic
ocean, are the Cabo, Apurvaca, Cayenne, Vuya,
and Barca. Its chief commerce is in sugar, Avhich
is manufactured in various mills by the Negroes.
(In 1752 the exports of the colony were 260,541 lbs.
of arnotto, 80,365 lbs. sugar, 17,919 lbs. cotton,
26,881 lbs. coffee, 91,916 lbs. cacao, beside timber
and planks.)

Cayenne, the capital of the above island, is
small, well built, and populous. It is at the n.
point of the island, at the foot of the castle of San
ljuis, and defended by two other redoubts, the one
called Courrow, and the other Sinarari, with a
handsome, convenient, and large port ; the greater
part of the houses, which amount to about 200, are
built of wood. Besides the parish called San Sal-
vador, there is a fine one which belonged to the Je-
suits, as also an excellent house for the governor.
The form of the city is an irregular hexagon, well
fortified ; in Lat. 5“ n. Long. 52° 16' w.

Cayenne, a river of the above province, (which
rises in the mountains near the lake of Parime, runs
through the country of the Galibis, a nation of
Caribe Indians, and is 100 leagues long; the
island which it environs being 18 leagues in circuit.)

(CAYES, Les, a sea-port town on the s. side of
the s. peninsula of the island of St. Domingo, 13
leagues w. by s. of St. Louis. Lat. 18° 12' n.)

CAYETANO, San , a settlement of the province
and government of Cartagena in the kingdom of
Tierra Firme ; situate on the mountain of the di-
vision of Maria ; six leagues to the n. n. e. of the
swamp which takes the name of this town. It is
one of those new establishments founded in the year
1776 by the Governor Don Juan Pimienia.

Cayetano San, another settlement of the pro-
vince and government of La Sonora in Nueva
España; situate in the country of the Sobaipuris

Indians, on the banks of a river between the settle-
ments of San Louis, and San Francisco Xavier.

Cayetano San, another settlement of the pro-
vince and captainship of Rey in Brazil ; situate on
the shore of the Rio Grande.

(CAYLOMA, a jurisdiction under the bishop of
Arequipa, 32 leagues e. of that city, in S. America,
in Peru, famous for the silver mines in the moun-
tains of the same name, which are very rich,
though they have been worked for a long time.
The country round it is cold and barren. There
is an office here for receiving the king’s fifths and
vending quicksilver. See Cailloma.)

(CAYMANS, three small islands, 55 leagues
n. n. w. of the island of Jamaica, in the West Indies
the most s. of which is called the Great Caymans,
which is inhabited by 160 people, who are descend-
ants of the old Buccaniers. It has no harbour for
ships of burden, only a tolerable anchoring place
on the s. w. The climate and soil are singularly
salubrious, and the people are vigorous, and com-
monly live to a great age. 'I'hey raise all kinds of
produce for their own use and to spare. Their
chief employment is to pilot vessels to the adjacent
islands, and to fish for turtle ; with w hich last they
supply Port Royal and other places in great quan-
tities. Great Caymans lies in Lat. 19° 15' n. Long.
81° 33' w.)

(CAYMITE, Grande, an island on the n. side
of the s. peninsula of the island of St. Domingo,
two leagues long and one broad.)

(CAYUGA, a beautiful lake in Onondaga,
county, Ncav York, from 35 to 40 miles long,
about two miles wide, in some places three, and
abounds with salmon, bass, cat-fish, eels, &c. It
lies between Seneca and Owasco lake, and at the n.
end empties into Scayace river, which is the 5 . e.
part of Seneca river, Avhose waters run to lake On-
tario. On each side of the lake is a ferry-house,
where good attendance is given. The reservation
lands of the Cayuga Indians lie on both sides of the
lake, at its n. end.)

CAZAPE, or Cazapa, a settlement of the pro-
vince and government of Paraguay ; situate to the
s. of the town of Espiritu Santo.

(CAZARES, a town of Mexico. See Angelo.)

CAZAUTAS, a settlement of the province and
government of Antioquía ; situate in the sierra
Morena, on the shore of an arm of the river San
Jorge.

(CAZENOVIA, a new and thriving township
in Herkemer county, New York, 40 miles w. of
Whitestown. By the state census of 1796, 274 of
its inhabitants are electors.)

CAZERES, San Augustin de, or San Martin

Page Notes

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page