336

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Show Translation

Olifo, and between the rivers of Great and Little
Mance.]

Castors, a port on the s. coast of Nova Scotia,
between the White isles and the port of Tangier.

CASTRO, a capital city of the province and
government of Chiloé in the kingdom of Chile;
peopled by the order of Don Lope Garcia de Cas-
tro, governor of Peru, who gave it his name in
1560 : it lies, between two small livers, and has a
good port; is inhabited by some good and opu-
lent families, and enjoys a pleasant ,and healthy
temperature. It is also called Chjloe, and is of a
regular and beautiful form ; has, besides the pa-
rish church, a convent of monks of St. Francis,
and a bishop auxiliary to that of Santiago. It was
.sacked by the Dutch in 1643 ; is 42 leagues s. of
the city of Osorno, in lat. 42° 40' s.

Castro, another capital city of the province and
government of Esmeraldas or Atacames in the king-
dom of Quito ; founded. in the valley of Fili by
Francisco Quintero, in 1586.

Castro, another settlement of the province and
cvrregimknto of Chillan in the kingdom of Chile ;
situate in the island of Maule, on the shore of the
river Longomilla.

Castro-Vireyna, a province and corregimiento
of Peru, bounded n. w. by the province ofCanete,
«. by that of Yauyos, n. e. by that of Angaraes,
and partly by the jurisdiction of Huamanga and
Huanta, m. by that of Vilcas Huaman, s. w. by
that of Lucanas, and s. s. w. and w. by that of
\^ca. It is uneven and barren, and its inhabi-
tants, on this account, amount scarcely to 6900,
although it is 22 leagues in length from e. to as,
and 25 in width n. to s. No mines have been dis-
covered here, nor are there any other roads to it
than merely such as are opened through passes in
the snow, or where no obstruction is ofered by
the copious streams which every where precipi-
tate themselves down from the mountains, and
which are particularly large in the rainy season,
which is from October to Slarch. Its productions
are wheat, maize, and potatoes; and in some
glens, where the cold is not so great, fruits and
cattle are extremely plentiful. Here are also lla~
mas, vicunas, and huanacos, the wool of which
they turn to some profit. This province is wa-
tered by rivers, some of which descend from the
provinces of the coast of the S. sea, and others
from the further side of the cordillera, running
towards the e. and entering the Maranon ; it is
also watered by the Canete, which rises from the
Chicha, and collects other streams in this province ;
by the Pisco, which rises from a lake called
.firacocha ; by the Yea, from the lake Choclo-

cocha ; and by the Calcamayo, which enters the
province of Vilcas Huaman. In all the waters of
this province, notwithstanding they are very abun-
dant, there is a great scarcity of fish, and without
doubt this arises from the cold which prevails
here. This province is but thinly peopled, and its
inhabitants are poor : they do not, we have heard,
amount to more than 7000 souls. It consists of six
curacies, to which there are 29 other settlements
annexed. Its yearly reparlimiento amounted to
86,400 dollars, and it paid an alcavala equal to
691 dollars. The capital is of the same name ; this
is a small and poor town, situate on a lofty spot,
where the cold is most intense : close to it runs a
river, which is made use of for working the mills
of the silver mines ; which, although they pro-
duce this metal of a good quality, they are by no
means well stocked with it. The town has a con-
vent of monks of St. Francis, and two large estates
called Huallanto and Huallanga, in which thera
are churches annexed to this curacy ; is 14 leagues
from Huancablica, 26 from Pisco, and 60 from

la. Long. 74° 44'. Lat. 13° 49' s. The

ements of the province

are.

Saesaquero,

Tambillo,

•Cinto,

Azavi,

Huacahuaca,

Tambo,

Pilpichaca,

Capillas,

Cargonacho,

Sangaiaico,

Santa Ana,

Andaimarca,

Acostambo,

Santiago,

Cordova,

Huachos,

Ocobamba,

Claris,

Ayamarca,

Cotas,

Ocozo,

Cocas,

Larnari,

Arma,

Pacomarca,

Huanactarabo,

Querco,

lluanac.

Laramanca,

Cadrillo,

Quisahuara,

Y anac.

Huaifara,

Tancara.

CASUHATI, a mountam of the province and
governmemt of Buenos Ayres, on the shore of the
river Hueque Lenori.

CASURO, a river of the province and coun-
try of Las Amazonas, in the Portuguese pos-
sessions: it runs s. s. e. and enters the Trom-
betas
.

(CASWELL County, in Hillsborough district,
N. Carolina, borders on Virginia, n : it contains
10,096 inhabitants, of whom 2736 are slaves.
Leesburg is the chief town.)

(CAT Island, or Guanahani, one of the Ba-
hama islands
. See St. Salvador.)

CATA, a settlement of the province and govern-

Page Notes

Please sign in to write a note for this page

benwbrum

On the entry for Caswell County, I did not mark "Hillsborough" as a district. In modern times, Hillsboro is a city in a neighboring county, so I assumed that "district" was not a political entity, but rather a periphrase for "in the region of".