Pages That Mention Coztla
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
C R A
C R A
Oaxaca. It contains only 20 families of Indians, wbo live by the cultivation of the cochineal plant and seeds.
COZCATLAN, a settlement and head settlement of the alcaldia mayor of Tasco in Nueva Espana. It contains 200 families of Indians, and is five leagues c. of its capital.
COZEL, a settlement of the jurisdiction and aknld'ia mayor of Culiacan in Nueva Espaila.
COZINAS, a bay of the coast of the province and government of Yucatán.
COZINERA, a shoal of rocks on the coast of the S. sea, of the province and government of Tierra Firme, very near the point of Paytilla, in the bay of Panama.
COZOCOZONQUE, a settlement of the head settlement of Puxmecatan, and alcaldia mayor of ViUalta, in Nueva Espana. It is of a hot temperature, contains 85 families of Indians, and is 29 leagues to the e. of its capital.
COZTLA, San Miguel de, a settlement of the head settlement of Coronango, and alcaldia mayor of Cholula, in Nueva Espana. It contains 48 families of Indians, and is two leagues to the n. of the capital.
COZUMEL, an island of the N. sea, opposite the e. coast of Yucatan, to the province and government of which it belongs. It is 10 leagues long n. w.f s. w. and from four to five wide. It is fertile, and abounds in fruit and cattle, and is covered with shady trees. The Indians call it Cuzamel, which in their language signifies the island of swallows. Here was the most renowned sanctuary of any belonging to the Indians in this province, and a noted pilgrimage, and the remains of some causeways over which the pilgrims used to pass. It was discovered by the Captain Juan de Grijalba in 1518, and the Spaniards gave it the name of Santa Cruz, from a cross that was deposited in it by Hernan Cortes, when he demolished the idols, and when at the same time the first mass ever said in this kingdom of Nueva Espana, was celebrated by the Fray Bartolome de Olrnedo, of the order of La Merced, At present it is inhabited by Indians only. It is three leagues distant from the coast of Tierra Firme.
(CRAB-ORCHARD, a post-town on Dick’s river, in Kentucky, eight miles from Cumberland river, and 25 miles s. e. of Danville. The road to Virginia passes through this place.)
CRABS, or Boriquen, an island of the N. sea ; situate on the s. side of the island of St. Domingo, first called so by the Bucaniers, from the abundance of crabs found upon its coast. It is large and beautiful, and its mountains and plains arc covered
with trees. The English established themselves here in 1718, but they were attacked and driven out by the Spaniards of St. Domingo in 17^0, who could not suffer a colony of strangers to settle so near them. The women and children were, however, taken prisoners, and carried to the capital and Portobelo. See Boriquen.
CRAMBERRI, a small river of the province and colony of N. Carolina. It runs s. and enters the source of the Conhaway.
CRAMBROOK, a river of the province and colony of Pennsylvania in N. America.
(CRANBERRY, a thriving town in Middlesex county. New Jersey, nine miles e. of Princeton, and 16 s. s. w. of Brunswick. It contains a handsome Presbyterian church, and a variety of manufactures are carried on by its industrious inhabitants. The stage from New York to Philadelphia passes through Amboy, this town, and thence to Bordentown.)
(Cranberry Islands, on the coast of the district of Maine. See Mount Desert Island.)
(CRANEY, a small island on the s. side of James river, in Virginia, at the mouth of Elizabeth river, and five miles 5. w. of fort George, on point Comfort. It commands the entrance of both rivers.)
(CRANSTON is the s. easternmost township of Providence county, Rhode Island, situated on the w. bank of Providence river, five miles s. of the town of Providence. The corajiact part of the town contains 50 or 60 houses, a Baptist meeting house, handsome school-house, a distillery, and a number of saw and grist mills^and is called Pawtuxet, from the river, on both sides of whose mouth it stands, and over which is a bridge connecting the two parts of the town. It makes a pretty appearance as you pass it on the river. The whole township contains 1877 inhabitants.)
CRAVEN, a county of the province and colony of Carolina in N. America, situate on the shore of the river Congaree, which divides the province into South and North. It is filled with English and F'rench protestants. The latter of these disembarked here to establish themselves in 1706, but were routed, and the greater part put to death by the hands of the former. The river Sewee waters this county, and its first establishment was owing to some families wlio had come hither from New England. It has no large city nor any considerable town, but has two forts upon the river Saute, the one called Sheuinirigh fort, which is 45 miles from tlie entrance or mouth of the river, and the other called Congaree, 65 miles from the other. [It contains 10,469 inhabitants, of whom S658are slaves.}