Pages That Mention Coiotepec
The geographical and historical dictionary of America and the West Indies [volume 1]
C O I
C O I
rapid current, between high banks on eacli side, and pours the whole body of its water over a perpendicular rock of about 40 (some say more) feet in height, which extends quite across the river like a mill-dam. The banks of the river, immediately below the falls, are about 100 feet high.
A bridge 1100 feet long, and 24 feet wide, resting on 13 piers, was erected, at the expence of 12,000 dollars, in 1794, a mile below the falls, from which a spectator may have a grand view of them; but they appear most romantically from Lansinburgh hill, five miles e. of them. 1
(COHONGORONTO is the name of Potowraack river before it breaks through the Blue ridge, in lat, 39° 45' n. Its whole length to the Blue ridge may be about 160 miles ; from thence it assumes the name of Potowmack, which see.)
(COHUIXCAS, a country in New Spain, in which there is a considerable mountain of loadstone, between Tcoiltylan and Chilapan.)
COIABAMBA, a settlement of the province and corregimiento of Chilques and Masques in Peru; annexed to the curacy of Calpi. An earthquake was experienced in this province in 1707, Avhich desolated many settlements ; when also happened that extraordinary phenomenon which is accredited and related by Don Cosine Bueno, geographer of Lima, as having taken place ; which was, that a small estate was by this earthquake removed from one side of the river to the other, together with the house, garden, and inhabitants, without their perceiving any thing had happened ; and as the event took place at midnight, Avhen they were all asleep, that they were not a little surprised to find themselves established in the curacy of Colcha. This extraordinary occurrence, however, has its precedent in a similar circumstance which happened in the kingdom of Quito.
COIACHI, a settlement of the missions which were held at the expence of the regulars of the company of Jesuits, in the province of Taraumara, and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya, 18 leagues and an half between the s. w. and s. e. of the town and real of the mines of San Felipe de Chiguagua.
COIAIMA, a settlement and head settlement of the corregimiento of this name in the Nuevo Reyno de Granada. It is of an hot temperature, produces cacao, sugar-cane, maize, ^uca<!, plantains, and an infinite quantity of cattle and swine ; but it is much infested with reptiles and insects, vipers, snakes, spiders, and mosquitoes. It also abounds in gold, and the Indians to the number of 450, who go to Santa Fe to pay their tribute, proceed in companies, and are accustomed to collect
in four or five daj's, on Die shores of the river Saldana, as much gold as is necessary for the tribute they are obliged to pay in the city.
COIAME, a river of the province and country of Las Amazonas, in the Portuguese possessions. It runs n. in a serpentine course, and enters the Maranon between the rivers Tefe and Catoa.
COIBA==, a small island of the S. sea, close to the coast of the province and government of Veragua, in the kingdom of Tierra Firme, and five leagues distant from the point Blanca.
COIN, a river of the island of Guadalupe. It runs to the n. w. in the isthmus Avhich almost divides the island into two parts, and enters the sea at the bottom of the bay of Cul de Sac Petit.
COIOACAN, a district and alcaldia mayor of Nueva España. It is one of the most pleasant, and fertile in wheat, maize, barley, and other seeds. Nearly the whole of its population live in country houses, in gardens and orchards which produce quantities of fruit, such as pears of several kinds, peaches, apples, prunes, plums, damsons, pomegranates, quinces, oranges, and lemons, with which a great commerce is carried on rviththe city of Mexico. In some parts of this province cloths and baizes are fabricated. It belongs to the jurisdiction of the marquisate Del Valle de Oaxaca ; to which the tributes are paid, the king retaining the sum of four tomines, (a Spanish coin weighing the third part of a drachm.) The settlements of this district are,
San Angel, Chapultepec,
San Augustin de las Nuestra Senora de los
The capital, which bears the same name, is a large, pleasant, fertile, and well peopled town. It has shady arbours, country houses, and orchards and gardens, which serve as a recreation to the people of Mexico, from whence it is distant two leagues to the s. s. e. Its population amounts to 1885 Indian families. It has a good convent of the religious order of St. Dominic, and many work-shops, in which are fabricated cloths, baizes, and serges. Long. 99° 4'. Lat. 19° 20'.
COIOMEAPA, Santa Maria de, a settlement and head settlement of the alcaldia mayor of Theacan in Nueva Espana. It contains 300 families of Indians, and 20 of Mustees and Mulattoes. Twelve leagues s. e. of its capital.
COIOTEPEC, San Mateo De, a settlement of the alcaldia mayor of Yanguitlan in Nueva Espana. It contains 22 families of Indians, who subsist by the trade in cochineal. Six leagues s. c. of its capital.