505

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Here you can see all page revisions and compare the changes have been made in each revision. Left column shows the page title and transcription in the selected revision, right column shows what have been changed. Unchanged text is highlighted in white, deleted text is highlighted in red, and inserted text is highlighted in green color.

3 revisions
kmr3934 at Oct 19, 2018 08:49 PM

505

CON

CON 505

purchase, obtained an act of incorporation, Sep
tember 3, 1655 ; and this was the most distant
settlement from the sea-shore of New England at
that time. The settlers never liad any contest with
the Indians ; and only three persons were ever kill
ed by them within the limits of the town. In
1791, there were in this township 225 dwelling
lionses, and 1590 inhabitants ; of the latter there
were 80 persons upwards ot 70 years old. For 13
years previous to 1791, the average number of
deaths was 17 ; one in four of whom were 70 years
old and upwards. The public buildings are, a
Congregational church, a spacious stone gaol, the
best in New England, and a very handsome county
court-house. The town is accommodated with
three convenient bridges over the river ; one of
which is 208 feet long, and 18 feet wide, supported
by 12 piers, built after the manner of Charles river
bridge. This town is famous in the history of the
revolution, having been the seat of the provincial
congress in 1774, and the spot where the first op
position was made to the British troops, on the
memorable 19th of April 1775. The general
court have frequently held their sessions here when
contagious diseases have prevailed in the capital.
Lat. 42° 20'

(Concord, a small river of Massachusetts,
formed of two branches, which unite near the
centre of the town of Concord, whence it takes its
course in a n. e. and n. direction through Bed
ford and Billerica, and empties itself into Merri
mack river at Tewksbury. Concord river is
remarkable for the gentleness of its current, which
is scarcely perceivable by the eye. At low water
mark it is from 100 to 200 feet wide, and from three
to 12 feet deep. During floods. Concord river
is near a mile in breadth ; and when viewed from
the town of Concord, makes a fine appearance.)

(Concord, a township in Delaware county,
Pennsylvania.)

(Concord, a settlement in Georgia, on the e.
bank of the Mississippi, about a mile from the s.
line of Tennessee, 108 miles h. from the mouth of
Yazoo river, and 218 bclov/ the Ohio.)

CONDACHE, a river of the province and go
vernment of Quixos in the kingdom of Quito. It
runs n. e. and traversing the royal road which
leads from Baza to Archidono, enters the river Co
quindo on its s. side, in 37' lat.

(CONDE, Fort, or Mobile City, is situate on
the w. side of Mobile bay, in W. Florida, about
40 miles above its mouth, in the gulf of Mexico.
Lat. 30° 59' n. Long. 88° 11' a'.)

CONDE, a small river of the province and
country of the Iroquees Indians, in New France or

VOL. I.

Canada. It runs n. and enters the lake On
tario.

CONDE, another of the same name. Sec
V E H D E .

(CONDECEDO, or Desconocida, a cape or
promontory of N. America, in the province of
Yucatán, *100 miles w. of Merida. Lat. 20° 50' n.
Long. 90° 45' w.)

CONDEBAMBA, a large and beautiful valley
of the provitice and fo?TCg7'??//f>«/o of Huamachuco
in Peru ; celebrated for its fertility.

CONDES, River of the, in the straits of Ma
gellan
. It runs into the sea opposite the island
Santa Ana.

CONDESA, a settlement of the province and
government of Cartagena; situate near the coast,
at the mouth of the Dique, which forms a com
munication between the sea and the grand river
Magdalena.

CONDESUIOS DE Arequipa, a province
and corregimiento of Peru : bounded n. by that of
Parinocochas, e. by that of Chumbivilcas, s. e.
by that of Canes and Canches, and s. by that of
Collahuas. It is generally of a cold temperature,
even in the less lofty parts of the cordillera ; of
a rough and broken territory, and with very bad
roads. Nevertheless, no inconsiderable proportion
of wheat is grown in the low grounds, as likewise of
maize, and other seeds and fruits, such as grapes,
pears, peaches, apples, and some flowers. Upon
tlie heights breed many vicunas, huanacos, and
vizcachas, and in other parts is obtained cochineal,
here called macno, and which is bartered by the
Indians for baizes of the manufacture of the country,
and for cacao. It has some gold mines which
were worked in former times, and which, on ac
count of the baseness of the metal, the depth of the
mines, and hardness of the strata, have not pro
duced so much as formerly they did, although
they are not now without yielding some emolu
ment : such are those of Airahua, Quiquimbo,
Araure, and Aznacolea, which may produce a
little more than the expences incurred in Avorkirig
them. The gold of these mines is from 19 to 20
carats, and they produce from tliree to four ounces
each cfljjow. They are Avorked by means of steel
and powder, and the metals are ground in mills.
The greater part of the natives of tliis province oc
cupy themselves in carrying the productions of the
valley of Mages, of the province of Carnana, such
as Avines and brandies, to the other provinces of
the sierra; also in the cultivation of seeds, and
some in working the mines. It is watered by some
small rivers or streams, which, incorporate them
selves, and form t-wm large rivers. The capital is
3 T


Translation

CONCORD, Ciudad de la Provincia y Colonia de la Nueva Inglaterra en la América Septentrional.

Tiene el mismo nombre un Pueblo de los Ingleses en la Provincia y Colonia de Masachusets.
Otro de la Provincia y Colonia de Pensilvánia, y Condado de Filadelña, situado a orilla del río Brandwyne.

CONDACHE, Río] de la Provincia y Gobierno de Quixos en el Reyno de Quito: corre al NE y atravesando el camino real que va de Baeza a Archidona entra en el río Coquindo por su parte austral en 3 7 min. de lar.

CONDE, Fuerte de los Franceses. Véase Luis.
Un río pequeño de la Provincia y Pais de los Indios Iroqueses en la Nueva Francia o Canadá: corre al N y entra en el Lago Ontario.
Otro del mismo nombre. Véase Verde.

CONDEBAMBA, Valle grande y hermoso de la provincia y Corregimiento de Huamachuco en el Perú, célebre por su fertilidad.

CONDES, Río de los, en el estrecho de Magallanes, sale al mar frente de la Isla de Santa Ana.

CONDESA, Pueblo de la Provincia y Gobierno de Cartagena, situado cerca de la Costa en la embocadura del Dique, que comunica el mar con el río grande de la Magdalena.

CONDESUIOS, de Arequipa, Provincia y Corregimiento del Perú: confina por él N con la de PaTinacochas: por el NE con la. de Chumbivilcas: por el SE con la de Canes y Canches, y por el S con la de COllahuas: es de temperamento generalmente frío aun en los Pueblos menos altos de la Cordillera, de terreno quebrado y muy maloscaminos;. sin embargo, se coge en ella bastante trigo, maiz y otras semillas en los lugares baxos, y aun frutas como uvas, peras, fresas, manzanas y algunas flores: en los altos cria muchas vicuñas, huanacos y vizcachas, y en otros grana que allí llaman macno, y venden los Indios a cambio de bayetas de la tierra y de coca: tiene algunas minas de oro que se trabajaron en otro tiempo, y por su corta ley, mucha profundidad y dureza no se benefician como antes, aunque no dexan de producir alguna utilidad, las de Airahua, Quiquimbo, Araure y Aznacolca, que dan poco mas que para costear la labor: su oro es de 19 a 20 quilates, y producen de 3 a 4 onzas por cajón: trabájanse a fuerza de acero y pólvora, y los metales se muelen en trapiches: la mayor parte de los naturales de esta Provincia se ocupan en conducir efectos del Valle de Mages de la de Camaná, como vinos y aguardientes a otras de la sierra, en el cultivo de las sementeras, y algunos en la labor de las minas: riéganla algunos chuelos y arroyos que se incorporan en dos ríos grandes: la Capital es

505

CON

CON 505

purchase, obtained an act of incorporation, Sep
tember 3, 1655 ; and this was the most distant
settlement from the sea-shore of New England at
that time. The settlers never liad any contest with
the Indians ; and only three persons were ever kill
ed by them within the limits of the town. In
1791, there were in this township 225 dwelling
lionses, and 1590 inhabitants ; of the latter there
were 80 persons upwards ot 70 years old. For 13
years previous to 1791, the average number of
deaths was 17 ; one in four of whom were 70 years
old and upwards. The public buildings are, a
Congregational church, a spacious stone gaol, the
best in New England, and a very handsome county
court-house. The town is accommodated with
three convenient bridges over the river ; one of
which is 208 feet long, and 18 feet wide, supported
by 12 piers, built after the manner of Charles river
bridge. This town is famous in the history of the
revolution, having been the seat of the provincial
congress in 1774, and the spot where the first op
position was made to the British troops, on the
memorable 19th of April 1775. The general
court have frequently held their sessions here when
contagious diseases have prevailed in the capital.
Lat. 42° 20'

(Concord, a small river of Massachusetts,
formed of two branches, which unite near the
centre of the town of Concord, whence it takes its
course in a n. e. and n. direction through Bed
ford and Billerica, and empties itself into Merri
mack river at Tewksbury. Concord river is
remarkable for the gentleness of its current, which
is scarcely perceivable by the eye. At low water
mark it is from 100 to 200 feet wide, and from three
to 12 feet deep. During floods. Concord river
is near a mile in breadth ; and when viewed from
the town of Concord, makes a fine appearance.)

(Concord, a township in Delaware county,
Pennsylvania.)

(Concord, a settlement in Georgia, on the e.
bank of the Mississippi, about a mile from the s.
line of Tennessee, 108 miles h. from the mouth of
Yazoo river, and 218 bclov/ the Ohio.)

CONDACHE, a river of the province and go
vernment of Quixos in the kingdom of Quito. It
runs n. e. and traversing the royal road which
leads from Baza to Archidono, enters the river Co
quindo on its s. side, in 37' lat.

(CONDE, Fort, or Mobile City, is situate on
the w. side of Mobile bay, in W. Florida, about
40 miles above its mouth, in the gulf of Mexico.
Lat. 30° 59' n. Long. 88° 11' a'.)

CONDE, a small river of the province and
country of the Iroquees Indians, in New France or

VOL. I.

Canada. It runs n. and enters the lake On
tario.

CONDE, another of the same name. Sec
V E H D E .

(CONDECEDO, or Desconocida, a cape or
promontory of N. America, in the province of
Yucatán, *100 miles w. of Merida. Lat. 20° 50' n.
Long. 90° 45' w.)

CONDEBAMBA, a large and beautiful valley
of the provitice and fo?TCg7'??//f>«/o of Huamachuco
in Peru ; celebrated for its fertility.

CONDES, River of the, in the straits of Ma
gellan
. It runs into the sea opposite the island
Santa Ana.

CONDESA, a settlement of the province and
government of Cartagena; situate near the coast,
at the mouth of the Dique, which forms a com
munication between the sea and the grand river
Magdalena.

CONDESUIOS DE Arequipa, a province
and corregimiento of Peru : bounded n. by that of
Parinocochas, e. by that of Chumbivilcas, s. e.
by that of Canes and Canches, and s. by that of
Collahuas. It is generally of a cold temperature,
even in the less lofty parts of the cordillera ; of
a rough and broken territory, and with very bad
roads. Nevertheless, no inconsiderable proportion
of wheat is grown in the low grounds, as likewise of
maize, and other seeds and fruits, such as grapes,
pears, peaches, apples, and some flowers. Upon
tlie heights breed many vicunas, huanacos, and
vizcachas, and in other parts is obtained cochineal,
here called macno, and which is bartered by the
Indians for baizes of the manufacture of the country,
and for cacao. It has some gold mines which
were worked in former times, and which, on ac
count of the baseness of the metal, the depth of the
mines, and hardness of the strata, have not pro
duced so much as formerly they did, although
they are not now without yielding some emolu
ment : such are those of Airahua, Quiquimbo,
Araure, and Aznacolea, which may produce a
little more than the expences incurred in Avorkirig
them. The gold of these mines is from 19 to 20
carats, and they produce from tliree to four ounces
each cfljjow. They are Avorked by means of steel
and powder, and the metals are ground in mills.
The greater part of the natives of tliis province oc
cupy themselves in carrying the productions of the
valley of Mages, of the province of Carnana, such
as Avines and brandies, to the other provinces of
the sierra; also in the cultivation of seeds, and
some in working the mines. It is watered by some
small rivers or streams, which, incorporate them
selves, and form t-wm large rivers. The capital is
3 T


Translation