C I P
C I u
CINCOS, a settlement of the province and cor-
regimiento of Xauxa in Peru.
CINCO-SEÑORES, a settlement of the pro-
vince of Tepeguana, and kingdom of Nueva Viz-
caya ; one of the missions of the Babosariganes
Indians, held there by the regulars of the com-
pany of Jesuits. Within eight leagues to the s.
of its district is a great unpeopled tract, called De
las Manos, (Of the Hands), from the infidel Indians
having nailed up against some temples in those
parts many hands of some unfortunate Spaniards
•whom they had killed, when the latter had en-
tered the country under the idea of making pro-
CINGACUCHUSCAS, a barbarous nation of
Indians, who inhabit the woods to the s. of the
river Marañon. In 1652 they were united to the
Pandabeques, and established themselves in the
settlement of Xibaros of the missions of Maynas,
with the exception of some few, who still remain
in their idolatry, and lead a wandering life through
CINIO, a settlement of the province and co-
lony of Maryland, in the county of Kent ; situate
on the shore, and at the extremity of the bay of
CIÑOQUIPA, a settlement of the province and
government of La Sonora in Nueva Espana.
CINTENELA, Isla de, one of the islands
which lie between the s. point of the Caico Grande
and the Paiiuelo Quadrado.
CINTO, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Castro Vireyna in Peru ; annexed to
the curacy of its capital.
CINTORI, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Caxamarquilla in Peru.
CINTU, a spacious llanura or plain, of the
ancient province of Chimu, now Truxillo, on the
coast of the S. sea. It was taken possession of by
Huaina Capac, thirteenth Emperor of the Incas.
It is very fertile, and of a good and healthy cli-
mate ; but it is but little inhabited.
CINTY, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Pilaya or Paspaya in Peru.
Same name, a river of the province and government
of Tucuman. It runs s. and enters the river San
CIPOYAY, a country and territory of the pro-
vince and government of Paraguay, called also the
province of Vera, towards the e. and where the
nation of the Guaranis Indians dwell. It is of a
hot climate, but very fertile, abounding in woods,
and well watered by many rivers ; some of which
run from e. to w. and enter the Uruguay, and
others from s. to n. and enter the Plata.
CIPRE, a river of the province and govern-
ment of Esmeraldas in the kingdom of Quito.
It takes its course from e. to w. and opposite tlie
river Sola, empties itself into that of Esmeraldas,
on the w. side, in lat. 28' n.
CIRANDIRO, a settlement and the capital of
the alcaldia mayor of Guimeo in the province and
bishopric of Mechoacan. It is of a hot tempera-
ture, and inliabited by 90 families of Tarascos In-
dians. In its vicinity is the estate of Quichandio,
in which eight families of Spaniards, and 15 of
Mustees and Mulattoes, are employed in making
sugar. Also in the estate of Santa Maria are five
families of the former. It is 75 leagues to the w.
and one-fourth to the s. w. of Mexico.
[CIRENCESTER. See Marcus Hook.]
CIRICHE, a settlement of the province and go-
vernment of Antioquia in the Nuevo Reyno de
Granada ; situate on the shore of a small river
which enters that of Cauca.
CIRII, a small river of the province and cap-
tainship of Sergipe in Brazil. It rises near the
coast, runs s. s. e. and enters the river Sirugipa,
a little before this river enters the sea.
CIRIONES, a barbarous nation of Indians,
of the province and government of Moxos in Peru.
It is a wandering nation, savage, and but little
CISNE, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Loxa in the kingdom ot
CITRONIERS, mountains in the island of Guadalupe.
They are in the large tract of land, and on the s.
coast, lying between the settlements of Santa Ana
and San Francisco.
CITY Point, in Virginia. See Bermuda
CIUAPA, a river of the province and corregi-
miento of Coquimbo in the kingdom of Chile,
towards the «. It is notorious from a species of
fish caught in it, called tache, of an extrem.ely deli-
cate flavour. It runs into the S. or Pacific sea,
terming a small port of little depth.
CIUDAD REAL, a city of the province and
government of Paraguay ; founded in 1557. by
Rui Diaz Melgarejo, on the shore of the river Pi-
quiri, three leagues from Parana. It Was des-
troyed by the Mamalukos Indians of San Pablo of
Brazil, in 1630, and in its place was substituted the
rich town of Espiritu Santo, the territory of which
abounds in fruits, vines, and mines of copper.
In the vicinity of the present town is a great wa-
terfall, formed by the above river, upwards »f