342

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Here you can see all page revisions and compare the changes have been made in each revision. Left column shows the page title and transcription in the selected revision, right column shows what have been changed. Unchanged text is highlighted in white, deleted text is highlighted in red, and inserted text is highlighted in green color.

3 revisions
kmr3934 at Oct 19, 2018 06:07 PM

342

342

C A V

certain seasons of tlie year it is so filled with
fish, for seven leagues from its mouth, that the
Indians are accustomed to harpoon them from the
shores.

Cauten, a point of land, or cape, which is one
of those which form the entrance of the former
river.

CAUTO, a settlement of the s. coast of the island
of Cuba; situate on the shore of a river which
bears the same name.

CAUX, Montanas de, mountains in the pro
vince and government of French Guinea, which
run along the shore of a river of the same name, be
tween the rivers Orapu and Aprovaque.

(CAVALLO, as some erroneously spell it, a
sea-port town in the province of Venezuela, in
Tierra Firme. Lat. 10'’ 28'. Long. G8° 8'. See
Cabello Pderto and Cavello Puerto.)

(CAVAILLON, a town on the s. side of the
s. peninsula of the island of St. Domingo, about
three leagues n. e. of Les Cayes, and five w. by s.
of St. Louis. Lat. 18° 18' w.)

(CAVELLO, Puerto, Borburata. One
league e. of Puerto Cavello, was originally the only
resort of vessels trading to this part of Venezuela.
Puerto Cavello was merely frequented by smugglers,
fishermen, and the outcasts of the interior. The
old town is surrounded by tlic sea, excepting a
space of a few fathoms to tlie w. ; through which
they have now cut a canal communicating to the
sea on the n. of the town to that on the s. ; thus
forming an island, the egress being by a bridge
with a gate which is shut every evening, and at
which is placed the principal guard. This island
being too small for the increasing population,
houses were built on a tongue of land to the w. of
the town, which was the only part free from inun
dation ; and this has now become the residence of
the merchants, and the principal place. The total
population of Puerto Cavello is 7600, of which,
excepting the military and the officers of govern
ment, none are of the nobility. The whites are
generally employed in trade and navigation ; the
chief correspondence being with the ports of the
continent or the neighbouring colonies ; for, al
though the port has been open from 1798 to the
trade of the metropolis, there is as yet but. little
communication with it. Of about 60 vessels trad
ing to this place, 20 at least are from Jamaica, and
20 from Cura 9 oa, whilst only four or five are from
Spain. According to the custom-house books, the
cargoes of these veesels are of little value ; but the
revenue is defrauded, and the vessels discharge their
lading on the coast before entering the port. This
place supplies all the w. part of Venezuela,

C A V

and the jurisdiction of Valencia, San Carlos, Bari
quisimeto, San Felipe, and a part of the valleys of
Aragoa. About 20 Europeans engross the w hole
trade. All vessels trading to the neighbourhood
resort here for repairs, and nothing but the un
wholsoraeness of the air prevents Puerto Cavello
becoming the most important port in America.
This insalubrity arises from the exhalations from
the rain water that accumulates in a clayey marsh
to the s. of the city. It is particularly fatal to
those who are not seasoned to the climate. In
1793 a Spanish squadron anchored at Puerto Ca
vello ; but in six months of its stay, it lost one-third
of the crew; and in 1802 a French squadron in
20 days lost 16 i officers and men. It has been
computed that 20,000 piastres fortes would be suf
ficient to drain this tatal marsh. The inhabitants
are supplied by conduits with water from a river
that runs into the sea one- fourth of a league w. of
the town. A military commander is also at the
head of the police, and is likewise the administra
tor of justice, his decisions being subject to an ap
peal to the royal audience. The people have de
manded the establishment of a cahildo, but without
success. They obtained in 1800 a single alcalde y
who is appointed annually ; but great inconveni
ences have been found to arise from this arrange
ment.

There is no convent, and but one church, in
Puerto Cavello. The foundation of another church
was begun, but for want of funds it has not beeh
completed. There is a military hospital, and an
other for the poor. The garrison consists of a
company of the regiment of Caracas in time of
peace ; but daring war it is reinforced from the
militia and troops of the line. 'I'hcre arc from 300
to 400 galley-slaves always employed onthepiiblic
works.

Puerto Cavello is 30 leagues from Caracas,
in embarking for La Guaira, and 48 leagues
in the direction of Valencia, Maracay, Tulraero,
La Victoria, atid San Pedro. Reaumur’s thermo
meter is generally in August at 26°, and in Janu
ary from 18° to 19°. Lat. 10° 20' «. Long. 70*
30' w. of Paris. See Puerto Cabello.)

(CAVENDISH, a township in Windsor county,
Vermont, w. of Wcathersfield, on Black river,
having 491 inhabitants. Upon this river, and
within this township, the channel has been worn
down 100 feet, and rocks of very large dimensions
have been undermined and thrown down one upon
another. Holes are wrought in the rocks of va
rious dimensions and forms ; some cylindrical,
from one to eight feet in diameter, and from one to
15 feet in depth ; others are of a spherical form.


Translation

Tiene el mismo nombre una Punta de Tierra 6 Cabo, que es uno de los que forman la entrada del río antecedente.

CAUTO, Pueblo de la Costa Meridional de la Isla de Cuba, situado a orilla de un río que tiene el mismo nombre.
C AUX, Montañas de) en la Provincia y Gobierno de la Guayana Francesa, que corren a orilla de un río del mismo nombre, entre los de Orapu y de Aprovague.

342

342

C A V

certain seasons of tlie year it is so filled with
fish, for seven leagues from its mouth, that the
Indians are accustomed to harpoon them from the
shores.

Cauten, a point of land, or cape, which is one
of those which form the entrance of the former
river.

CAUTO, a settlement of the s. coast of the island
of Cuba; situate on the shore of a river which
bears the same name.

CAUX, Montanas de, mountains in the pro
vince and government of French Guinea, which
run along the shore of a river of the same name, be
tween the rivers Orapu and Aprovaque.

(CAVALLO, as some erroneously spell it, a
sea-port town in the province of Venezuela, in
Tierra Firme. Lat. 10'’ 28'. Long. G8° 8'. See
Cabello Pderto and Cavello Puerto.)

(CAVAILLON, a town on the s. side of the
s. peninsula of the island of St. Domingo, about
three leagues n. e. of Les Cayes, and five w. by s.
of St. Louis. Lat. 18° 18' w.)

(CAVELLO, Puerto, Borburata. One
league e. of Puerto Cavello, was originally the only
resort of vessels trading to this part of Venezuela.
Puerto Cavello was merely frequented by smugglers,
fishermen, and the outcasts of the interior. The
old town is surrounded by tlic sea, excepting a
space of a few fathoms to tlie w. ; through which
they have now cut a canal communicating to the
sea on the n. of the town to that on the s. ; thus
forming an island, the egress being by a bridge
with a gate which is shut every evening, and at
which is placed the principal guard. This island
being too small for the increasing population,
houses were built on a tongue of land to the w. of
the town, which was the only part free from inun
dation ; and this has now become the residence of
the merchants, and the principal place. The total
population of Puerto Cavello is 7600, of which,
excepting the military and the officers of govern
ment, none are of the nobility. The whites are
generally employed in trade and navigation ; the
chief correspondence being with the ports of the
continent or the neighbouring colonies ; for, al
though the port has been open from 1798 to the
trade of the metropolis, there is as yet but. little
communication with it. Of about 60 vessels trad
ing to this place, 20 at least are from Jamaica, and
20 from Cura 9 oa, whilst only four or five are from
Spain. According to the custom-house books, the
cargoes of these veesels are of little value ; but the
revenue is defrauded, and the vessels discharge their
lading on the coast before entering the port. This
place supplies all the w. part of Venezuela,

C A V

and the jurisdiction of Valencia, San Carlos, Bari
quisimeto, San Felipe, and a part of the valleys of
Aragoa. About 20 Europeans engross the w hole
trade. All vessels trading to the neighbourhood
resort here for repairs, and nothing but the un
wholsoraeness of the air prevents Puerto Cavello
becoming the most important port in America.
This insalubrity arises from the exhalations from
the rain water that accumulates in a clayey marsh
to the s. of the city. It is particularly fatal to
those who are not seasoned to the climate. In
1793 a Spanish squadron anchored at Puerto Ca
vello ; but in six months of its stay, it lost one-third
of the crew; and in 1802 a French squadron in
20 days lost 16 i officers and men. It has been
computed that 20,000 piastres fortes would be suf
ficient to drain this tatal marsh. The inhabitants
are supplied by conduits with water from a river
that runs into the sea one- fourth of a league w. of
the town. A military commander is also at the
head of the police, and is likewise the administra
tor of justice, his decisions being subject to an ap
peal to the royal audience. The people have de
manded the establishment of a cahildo, but without
success. They obtained in 1800 a single alcalde y
who is appointed annually ; but great inconveni
ences have been found to arise from this arrange
ment.

There is no convent, and but one church, in
Puerto Cavello. The foundation of another church
was begun, but for want of funds it has not beeh
completed. There is a military hospital, and an
other for the poor. The garrison consists of a
company of the regiment of Caracas in time of
peace ; but daring war it is reinforced from the
militia and troops of the line. 'I'hcre arc from 300
to 400 galley-slaves always employed onthepiiblic
works.

Puerto Cavello is 30 leagues from Caracas,
in embarking for La Guaira, and 48 leagues
in the direction of Valencia, Maracay, Tulraero,
La Victoria, atid San Pedro. Reaumur’s thermo
meter is generally in August at 26°, and in Janu
ary from 18° to 19°. Lat. 10° 20' «. Long. 70*
30' w. of Paris. See Puerto Cabello.)

(CAVENDISH, a township in Windsor county,
Vermont, w. of Wcathersfield, on Black river,
having 491 inhabitants. Upon this river, and
within this township, the channel has been worn
down 100 feet, and rocks of very large dimensions
have been undermined and thrown down one upon
another. Holes are wrought in the rocks of va
rious dimensions and forms ; some cylindrical,
from one to eight feet in diameter, and from one to
15 feet in depth ; others are of a spherical form.


Translation