520

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Show Translation

520

COR

COR

CORIXAS, a river of the kingdom of Brazil,
It rises in the sierra Bermeja, runs n. forming a
curve, and eaters the Tocantines near that of Los
Monges, according to tl>e account given by the
Portuguese.

CORIXAS, some sierras of the same kingdom,
which run s. s. e. and are a continuation of the
sierra Bermeja ; they then run e. forming a
curve, as far as the river Tocantines, and ex
tend their course on as far as the shore of the
Araguaya.

CORK, a large bay in the e. coast of the island
of Newfoundland, between the cape Gull and the
island Tuliquet.

CORKAM, a fort of the English, in the pro
vince and colony of Connecticut, one of the four
which composQ New England ; situate near the
coast.

CORMA, a settlement of the province and cor
regimiento of Quispicanchi in Peru ; annexed to
the curacy of Papres.

CORMO, a settlement of the province and go
vernment of Canta in Peru ; annexed to the curacy
of Atabillos Altos.

CORNE, an island of the N. sea, near the
coast of Florida, between the islands Vaisseaux
and Massacre.

CORNEJO, an island of the S. sea, near the
coast of the province and corregimiento of Are
quipa, opposite the port of Arantae.

(CORNISH, a township in Cheshire county,
New Hampshire, on the e. bank of Connecticut
river, between Claremont and Plainfield, about 15
miles n. of Charlestown, and 16 s. of Dartmouth
college. It was incorporated in 1763. In
1775 it contained 309, and in 1790, 982 in
habitants.

(CORNWALL, a township in Addison county,
Vermont, e. of Bridport, on lake Champlain, con
taining 826 inhabitants.)

(Cornwall, NEW, atownship in Orange coun
ty, New York, of whose inhabitants 350 are
dectors.)

(Cornwall, a township in Litchfield county,
Connecticut, about nine miles n. of Litchfield, 11
s. of Salisbury, and about 40 w. by n. of Hartford
city.)

(Cornwall, a small town in Upper Canada, on
the bank of Iroquois river, near lake St. Francis,
between Kingston and Quebec, containing a small
church, and about 30 or 40 houses.)

(Cornwallis, a town in King’s county, in the
province of New Brunswick, situated on the s. w.
side of the basin of Minas ; 18 miles n. w. of Fal
mouth, and 55 n. w. of Annapolis.)

(Cornwallis, also a river in the »arae pro
vince
, navigable for vessels of 100 tons five miles ;
for vessels of 50 tons, 10 miles.

CORO, Santa Ana de, a city of the province
and government of Venezuela, thus named in the
time of the Indians, after the district called Coriana.
It was founded by Juan de Ampues in 1529.
The Weltzers, under the orders of Nicholas Fe
derman, were the first Avho peopled it, giving it the
name of Cordoba, to distinguish it from the other
city of the same name which had been founded by
Gonzalo de Ocampo in the province of Cumana,
This name it afterwards lost, and took that of
Coro, which it preserves to this day, from a small
settlement of Indians thus named. It is of a dry
and hot temperature, but so healthy that physicians
are said here to be of no use. The territory, al
though sandy and lack of water, produces every
kind of vegetable production ; so that it may be
said to abound in every thing that luxury or con^
venience may require. Here are large breeds of
cow-cattle and goats, and a considerable number
of good mules. Its articles of merchandize, such
as cheese, tanned hides, and cacao, meet with a
ready sale in Cartagena, Caracas, and the island of
St. Domingo. It has a reduced convent of the re
ligious order of St. Francis, and an hermitage
dedicated to St. Nicholas. The town is very rich.
It was plundered, by the English in 1567. Its
church was a cathedral, and the head of the
bishopric, from the time that it was erected in
1532 until 1636, when this title was transferred to
Santiago of Caracas. It is two leagues distant
from the sea, where there is a port insecure, but
much frequented by trading vessels.

(From the time that the governor began to re
side at Caracas, in 1576, there remained no con
spicuous authority at Coro but the bishop and
chapter, and they did all they could to follow th«
governor; and indeed, not being able to leave
Coro by legal measures, they put tlieir wishes
into effect by flight, in 1636. At three leagues
from the city are lands where they cultivate with
success, if not with abundance, all the usual pro
duce of the country. The inhabitants, who are
much addicted to indolence, glory that they are
descended from the first conquerors of the country ;
and there is here, generally speaking, more rank
than wealth, and more idleness than industry. The
little trade that is carried on here consists in mules,
goats, hides, sheep-skins, cheeses, &c. which come
in a great measure from the interior, and the
larger part fromCarora; shipments of these ar
ticles are made for the islands. The most common
intercourse is with Cura 9 oa, from whence they
2

Page Notes

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page