488

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Show Translation

488

C O I

C O I

rapid current, between high banks on eacli side,
and pours the whole body of its water over a per-
pendicular rock of about 40 (some say more) feet
in height, which extends quite across the river
like a mill-dam. The banks of the river, imme-
diately below the falls, are about 100 feet high.

A bridge 1100 feet long, and 24 feet wide, resting
on 13 piers, was erected, at the expence of 12,000
dollars, in 1794, a mile below the falls, from which
a spectator may have a grand view of them; but
they appear most romantically from Lansinburgh
hill, five miles e. of them. 1

(COHONGORONTO is the name of Potow-
raack river before it breaks through the Blue
ridge, in lat, 39° 45' n. Its whole length to the
Blue ridge may be about 160 miles ; from thence
it assumes the name of Potowmack, which see.)

(COHUIXCAS, a country in New Spain, in
which there is a considerable mountain of load-
stone, between Tcoiltylan and Chilapan.)

COIABAMBA, a settlement of the province
and corregimiento of Chilques and Masques in
Peru; annexed to the curacy of Calpi. An
earthquake was experienced in this province in
1707, Avhich desolated many settlements ; when
also happened that extraordinary phenomenon
which is accredited and related by Don Cosine
Bueno, geographer of Lima, as having taken
place ; which was, that a small estate was by this
earthquake removed from one side of the river to
the other, together with the house, garden, and
inhabitants, without their perceiving any thing
had happened ; and as the event took place at
midnight, Avhen they were all asleep, that they
were not a little surprised to find themselves esta-
blished in the curacy of Colcha. This extraordi-
nary occurrence, however, has its precedent in
a similar circumstance which happened in the
kingdom of Quito.

COIACHI, a settlement of the missions which
were held at the expence of the regulars of the
company of Jesuits, in the province of Taraumara,
and kingdom of Nueva Vizcaya, 18 leagues and
an half between the s. w. and s. e. of the town and
real of the mines of San Felipe de Chiguagua.

COIAIMA, a settlement and head settlement
of the corregimiento of this name in the Nuevo
Reyno de Granada
. It is of an hot temperature,
produces cacao, sugar-cane, maize, ^uca<!, plan-
tains, and an infinite quantity of cattle and swine ;
but it is much infested with reptiles and insects,
vipers, snakes, spiders, and mosquitoes. It also
abounds in gold, and the Indians to the number of
450, who go to Santa Fe to pay their tribute, pro-
ceed in companies, and are accustomed to collect

in four or five daj's, on Die shores of the river Sal-
dana, as much gold as is necessary for the tribute
they are obliged to pay in the city.

COIAME, a river of the province and country
of Las Amazonas, in the Portuguese possessions.
It runs n. in a serpentine course, and enters the
Maranon between the rivers Tefe and Catoa.

COIBA==, a small island of the S. sea, close to the
coast of the province and government of Veragua,
in the kingdom of Tierra Firme, and five leagues
distant from the point Blanca.

COIN, a river of the island of Guadalupe. It
runs to the n. w. in the isthmus Avhich almost di-
vides the island into two parts, and enters the sea
at the bottom of the bay of Cul de Sac Petit.

COIOACAN, a district and alcaldia mayor of
Nueva España. It is one of the most pleasant,
and fertile in wheat, maize, barley, and other seeds.
Nearly the whole of its population live in coun-
try houses, in gardens and orchards which pro-
duce quantities of fruit, such as pears of several
kinds, peaches, apples, prunes, plums, damsons,
pomegranates, quinces, oranges, and lemons, with
which a great commerce is carried on rviththe city
of Mexico. In some parts of this province cloths
and baizes are fabricated. It belongs to the
jurisdiction of the marquisate Del Valle de Oax-
aca ; to which the tributes are paid, the king re-
taining the sum of four tomines, (a Spanish
coin weighing the third part of a drachm.) The
settlements of this district are,

San Angel, Chapultepec,

San Augustin de las Nuestra Senora de los

Culvas, Remedies.

Tacubaya,

The capital, which bears the same name, is a
large, pleasant, fertile, and well peopled town. It
has shady arbours, country houses, and orchards
and gardens, which serve as a recreation to the
people of Mexico, from whence it is distant two
leagues to the s. s. e. Its population amounts to
1885 Indian families. It has a good convent of
the religious order of St. Dominic, and many
work-shops, in which are fabricated cloths, baizes,
and serges. Long. 99° 4'. Lat. 19° 20'.

COIOMEAPA, Santa Maria de, a settle-
ment and head settlement of the alcaldia mayor
of Theacan in Nueva Espana. It contains 300
families of Indians, and 20 of Mustees and Mu-
lattoes. Twelve leagues s. e. of its capital.

COIOTEPEC, San Mateo De, a settlement of
the alcaldia mayor of Yanguitlan in Nueva Es-
pana. It contains 22 families of Indians, who
subsist by the trade in cochineal. Six leagues s. c.
of its capital.

Page Notes

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page