Status: Needs Review
Show Translation




territory, where the noble families of Loxa have
their best possessions.

CHUQUIS, a settlement of the province and
corregimiento of Huamalies in Peru ; annexed to
the curacy of Bailos.

a city and capital of the province of Peru, founded
by Pedro Anzures in 1539, who gave it this name.
It had a settlement of Indians on the same spot.
The first founders called it La Plata, from the
celebrated mine of this metal (silver) in the moun-
tain of Porco, close to the aforesaid settlement,
and from whence immense wealth was extracted
by the emperors the Jncas of Peru. This city is
situate on a plain surrounded by pleasant hills,
which defend it from the inclemency of the winds ;
the climate is mild and agreeable, but during the
winter, dreadful tempests, accompanied with thun-
der and lightning, are not unusual ; the edifices
are good, handsome, and well adorned, having
delightful orchards and gardens. The waters are
delicate, cold, and salutary, and divided into
different aqueducts, by which they are carried to
the public fountains, forming an object at once
useful and ornamental. Its nobility is of the first
and most distinguished families of Peru, who have
many privileges and distinctions. The cathedral
consists of three naves ; it is very rich, and adorn-
ed with fine furniture and beautiful paintings.
It contains convents of the religious orders of St.
Domingo, St. Augustin, St. Francis, La Merced,
and San Juan de Dios, with a good hospital, a
handsome college and a magnificent church which
belonged to the regulars of the company ; also
three monasteries of nuns, the one of Santa Clara,
the other of Santa Monica, and the third of the
Carmelites ; a royal university with the title of
San Francisco Xavier, the rector of which was
universally of the college of the regulars of the
company of the Jesuits. It has also two houses
of study for youth, the one the seminary of San
Christoval, and the other the college of San Juan,
which were likewise under the controul of the
Jesuits until the year 1767 ; also an hermitage de-
dicated to San Roque. It was erected into a
bishopric by the pontiff Julius III. in 1551, and
afterwards into a metropolitan in 1608, with an
archbishop, five dignitaries, six canons, four pre-
bends, and as many more demi-prebends. The
tribunal of audience was erected here in 1559, and
afterwards those of the inquisition of the cruzada.
Its arms are a shield divided horizontally, having
in the upper part two mountains with a cross upon
each, in the middle a tree with two columns on the
sides, in the lower part to the left two lions rampant,

on the right two towers with two lions, a standard
being in the middle, and the whole embossed
upon a silver field. At the distance of six leagues
from this city passes the river Pilcoraayu, by
which it is supplied with good fish, and upon the
shores of the Cachimayu, which is only two
leagues distant, the nobility have many rural seats.
In 1662 a great insurrection took place here
amongst the Mustees and the people of colour.
It is the native place of several illustrious persons,
and amongst others of the following :

Don Rodrigo de Orozco, Marquis of Mortara,
captain-general of the principality of Cataluna,
and of the council of state and war.

Fra}/ Antonio de Calancha, a monk of St. Au-
gustin, a celebrated author.

Don Rodrigo de Santillana, oidor of Valladolid,
and afterwards in his country.

The venerable Friar Martin de Aguirre, of the
order of St. Augustin.

Don Alonso Corveda de Zarate, canon of Lima,
and professor of languages.

The Father Maestro Diego Trexo, a Do-
minican monk.

The Father Juan de Cordoba, of the extin-
guished company of Jesuits, a celebrated theo-

Its archbishopric has for suffragans, the bishop-
rics of Santa (3ruz de la Sierra, La Paz, Tucu-
man, and La Ascencion of Paraguay ; and to its
diocese belong 188 curacies. Its inhabitants in
and about it amount to 13,000, of which 4000 are
Spaniards, 3000 Mustees, 4500 Indians, and 15,000
Negroes and Mulattoes. It is 290 leagues from
Cuzco, in lat. 19° 31' s.

Archbishops of the church of La Plata.

1. Don Frau Tomas de San Martin, a monk of
the order of St. Dominic, a master in his order,
and one of the first monks who passed over into
Peru with the Friar Vicente de Valverde; he W 2 is
provincial there, returned to Spain with the Licen-
tiate Pedro de la Gasca, and as a reward for his
labours, presented by the king to the first arch-
bishopric of Charcas, in 1553: he died in 1559.

2. Don Fraj/ Pedro de la Torre, who was
elected, but not consecrated ; and in his place,

3. Don Fray Alonso de la Cerda.

4. Don Fernan Gonzalez de la Cuesta, who laid
the foundation of the cathedral church.

5. Don Fray Domingo de Santo Tomas, of the
order of St. Dominic, a noted preacher, and one of
those who went over to Peru with the Fray Vicente
Valverde ; he was prior in different convents, and
general visitor of his order in those kingdoms.

6. Don Fernando de Santillana, native of Se-

Notes and Questions

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page