318

OverviewTranscribeVersionsHelp

Facsimile

Transcription

Show Translation

318 CAR

ment of Paraguay ; situate on a small river about
l5 leagues e. of Asuncion. Lat. 23° 30' 27"
Long. 56° 52' w.)

CARLISLE, a settlement of the island of Ja
maica
; situate on the s.

(Carlisle, the chief town of Cumberland
county, Pennsylvania, on the post-road from Phi
ladelphia to Pittsburg ; is 125 miles w. by n. from
the former, and 178 e. from the latter, and 18 s. w.
from Harrisburgh. Its situation is pleasant and
healthy, on a plain near the s. bank of Conedog
winet creek, a water of the Susquehannah. The
town contains about 400 houses, chiefly of stone
and brick, and about 1500 inhabitants. The streets
intersect each other at right angles, and the public
buildings are a college, court-house, and gaol, and
four edifices for public worship. Of these the
Presbyterians, Germans, Episcopalians, and Roman
Catholics, have each one. Dickinson college,
named after the celebrated John Dickinson, esq.
author of several valuable tracts, has a principal,
three professors, a philosophical apparatus, and a
library containing near SOOO volumes. Its re
venue arises from 4000/. in funded certificates, and
10,000 acres of land. In 1787 there were 80 stu
dents, and its reputation is daily increasing.
About 50 years ago this spot was inhabited by In
dians and wild beasts.)

(Carlisle, a bay on the w. side of the island
of Barbadoes in the West Indies ; situated be
tween James and Charles forts, on which stands
Bridge-town, the capital of the island.)

CARLOS, San, a settlement of the province
and captainship of Rey in Brazil ; situate on the
shore of a small river which enters the head of that
of Curituba.

Carlos, San, another, of the missions which
were held by the regulars of the company of Je
suits, in the province and government of Buenos
Ayres
; situate on the shore of a small river near
the river Pargua, about five leagues s. w. of Can
delaria. Lat. 27° 44' 36" s. Long. 55° 57' 12" w.

Carlos, San, another, of the missions of the
province and government of Tucuman, in the jn
risdiction of the city of Salta; situate on the shore
of the river of Guachipas.

Carlos, San, a city of the province and go
vernment of Venezuela ; situate on the shore of the
river Aguirre, to the n. of the city of Nirua. [It
owes its existence to the first missionaries of Vene
zuela, and its increase and beauty to the activity
of its inhabitants. The greatest part of its popu
lation is composed of Spaniards from the Canary
islands ; and as these leave their native country

CAR

but to meliorate their condition, they arrive with a
willingness to work, and a courage to undertake
any thing that they think the most proper to an
swer their views. Their example even inspires a
sort oT emulation among the Creoles, productive
of public prosperity. Cattle forms the great mass
of the wealth of the inhabitants. Oxen, horses,
and mules, are very numerous. Agriculture, al
though not much followed, is yet not neglected.
Indigo and coffee are almost the only things they
grow. The quality of the soil gives the fruits an
exquisite flavour, but particularly the oranges,
which are famed throughout the province. The
city is large, handsome, and well divided ; they
compute the inhabitants at 9300. The parish
church, by its construction and neatness, answers
to the industry and piety of the people. The heat
at San Carlos is extreme ; it would be excessive if
the n. wind did not moderate the effects of the sun.
It lies in 9° 20' lat. 60 leagues s. w. of Caracas,
24 s. s.e. of St. Valencia, and 20 from St. Philip’s.

(Carlos, San, a town of the province and go
vernment of Buenos Ayres ; situate on a small river
about two leagues n. of Maldonado. Lat. 34° 44'
45" s. Long. 55° 44' zw.)

(Carlos, San, Real, a parish of the province
and government of Buenos Ayres ; situate on a
river of the same name, about five leagues n. of
Colonia del Sacramento. Lat. 34° 25' 8" s. Long,
57° 50' w.')

(San Carlos de Monterey|Carlos, San, de Monterey]]==, the capital of
New California, founded in 1770, at the foot of the
cordillera of Santa Lucia, which is covered with
oiiks, pines, (foliis lernis J, and rose bushes. The
village is two leagues distant from the presidio of
the same name. It appears that the bay of Mon
terey had already been discovered by Cabrillo on
the 13th November 1542, and that he gave it the
name of Bahia rle los Pinos, on account of the
beautiful pines with which the neighbouring moun
tains are covered. It received its present name
about 60 years afterwards from Viscaino, in ho
nour of the viceroy of Mexico, Gaspar deZunega,
Count de Monterey, an active man, to whom we
are indebted for considerable maritime expedi
tions, and who engaged Juan de Onate in the con
quest of New Mexico. The coasts in the vicinity
of San Carlos produce the famous aurum merum
(ormier) of Monterey, in request by the inhabi
tants of Nootka, and which is employed in the
trade of otter-skins. The population of San Carlos
is 700.)

Carlos, San, a fort of the province and go
vernment of Guayana, situate on the shore of the

Page Notes

Nobody has written a note for this page yet

Please sign in to write a note for this page