A L G
shore of the Rio Grande Colorado, (large coloured
river), or of the North.
ALCOHOLADES, a nation of Indians of the
province of Venezuela. They are of a docile and
affable disposition, and live upon the borders of
the lake Maracaibo. Their numbers are much
diminished, from the treatment they received from
the German Weltzers, who, through a covetous-
ness to possess the gold of these people, killed the
greater part of them.
ALCOZAUCA, a settlement of the alcaldia
mayor of Tlapa in Nueva Espana. It contains
104 families of Spaniards, Mulattoes, and Mustees;
not a single Indian dwells in it. It is of a mild
temperature, and in its district were the once cele-
brated mines of Cayro, which were crushed in and
destroyed, having been almost unparalleled for the
quantity of silver that they produced. Eight lea-
gues from its capital.
ALEXANDRIA, a city of Virginia, [formerly
called Belhaven, and situated on the southern
bank of the Patowmac river, in Fairfax county,
about five miles s. w. from the Federal city, 60
L from Baltimore, 60 n, from Fredericks-
burgh, 168 n. of Williamsburgh, and 290 from
the. sea; 38° 54' n. lat. and 77° 10' w. long.
Its situation is elevated and pleasant. The soil
is clayey. The original settlers, anticipating its
future growth and importance, laid out the streets
on the plan of Philadelphia. It contains about
400 houses, many of which are handsomely built,
and 2748 inhabitants. This city, upon opening
the navigation of Patowmac river, and in conse-
quence of its vicinity to the future seat of the
federal government, bids fair to be one of the most
thriving commercial places on the continent. Nine
miles from hence is Mount Vernon, the celebrated
seat of the late General Washington.]
[Alexandria, a township in Grafton county.
New Hampshire, containing 298 inhabitants, in-
corporoted in 1782.]
[Alexandria, a township in Hunterdon coun-
ty. New Jersey, containing 1503 inhabitants, inclu-
sive of 40 slaves.]
[Alexandria, a small town in Huntingdon
county, Pennsylvania, on the Frankstown branch
of Janiatta river, 192 miles n. w. of Philadel-
ALEXO, S. an island of the N. sea, near the
coast of Brazil, in the province and captainship
of Pernambuco, between the river Formoso and
Cape S. Agustin.
ALFARO, S. Miguel de, a settlement of the
province and government of the Chiquitos Indians;
situate on the shore of the river Ubay. It has a
good port, from whence it is also known by the
name of Port of the Chiquitos. It is, however,
at present destroyed, and the ruins alone remain.
ALFAXAIUCA, a settlement of the alcaldia
mayor of Kilotepec in Nueva Espana. It con-
tains 171 Indian families, and is seven leagues
e. n. e. of its capital.
ALFEREZ, Valley of the, in the province
and correscimienlo of Bogota in the new kingdom
Alfeuez, a river of the province and captain-
ship Rey in Brazil; it runs w. and enters the
lake of Mini.
[ALFORD, a township in Berkshire county,
Massachusetts, containing 577 inhabitants ; 145
miles w. from Boston.]
[ALFORDSTOWN, a small town in Moor
county, North Carolina.]
ALfjrARROBO, a settlement of the province
and government of Antioquia in the new kingdom
of Granada ; situate on the bank of an arm of the
river Perico, in an island which it forms in th«
serranias of Guamoca.
ALGODON, Island of the, one of those
which are in the N. sea, between the s. point of
the Cayco Grande and the Panuelo Quadrado.
Algodon, a settlement of the same name. See
ALGODONALES, a .settlement of the province
Nobody has written a note for this page yet
Please sign in to write a note for this page